Subject: [sipcore] rfc 5626 and connection-reuse-draft

From: "Ofer Goren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:41:45 +0200

Hi All.

Going over RFC 5626, it looks like a superset of rules defined in
connection-reuse draft. The RFC enhanced the basic feature for UDP, and
added a keep alive mechanism, but all and all It looks like they both
describe 2 different features describing means to use an open connection
for multiple network-transactions from the server side.

What are the future plans for this draft? Will it be canceled due to the
RFC existence? If not, any views on how those 2 features co-exist on a
UE? What if an alias parameter contradicts a flow parameter?

Thanks,

Ofer

_______________________________________________

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was
probably worth the investment. 

P Before printing this email, kindly think about the environment

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:54:52 -0600

> for multiple network-transactions from the server side.

Ofer: The intersection of sip-outbound (now rfc5626) and
sip-connect-reuse is detailed in Section 2 of the sip-connect-reuse
draft.

> What are the future plans for this draft?

sip-connect-reuse is in the RFC editor's queue.  It is
currently blocked on sip-domain-certs reaching IESG since
there is a dependency on sip-domain-certs.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Francois Audet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:50:27 -0800

On Dec 1, 2009, at 6:54 , Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:

> Ofer Goren wrote:
>> Going over RFC 5626, it looks like a superset of rules defined in connection-reuse draft. The RFC enhanced the basic feature for UDP, and added a keep alive mechanism, but all and all It looks like they both describe 2 different features describing means to use an open connection for multiple network-transactions from the server side.
> 

Another way to view the place under the sun for 5626 vs connect-reuse is that 5626 is typically going to be used between a UA and a proxy/registrar, while connect-reuse is expected to be used between proxies (or with servers such as voicemail servers, conference bridges and so forth where.

---

From: "Ofer Goren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:51:31 +0200

Thank you all.

Ofer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Francois Audet [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 18:50
To: Vijay K. Gurbani
Cc: Ofer Goren; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [sipcore] rfc 5626 and connection-reuse-draft

> sip-connect-reuse is detailed in Section 2 of the sip-connect-reuse

Another way to view the place under the sun for 5626 vs connect-reuse is
that 5626 is typically going to be used between a UA and a
proxy/registrar, while connect-reuse is expected to be used between
proxies (or with servers such as voicemail servers, conference bridges
and so forth where.