Subject: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application-01

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:58:55 +0100

Hello,

Here is the new version of the draft.
Main changes are following:
- More details about the registration procedure for new values
- Clearer text in section 3.2
- Add of Public and Private status for registered values.  
- Add of a range for cause values registration 

Best Regards,
Marianne Mohali

-----Message d'origine-----
Objet : New Version Notification for
draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application-01 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Extending the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) Reason Header for Applications
	Author(s)       : M. Mohali, B. Chatras
	Filename        :
draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-02-24

This document defines a new protocol value "Application" for the
Reason Header field and a new IANA Registry for registering
application types.  This new value enables signaling that a request
or response has been issued as a result of a decision made by a
particular type of application or that an initial request has been
retargeted as a result of an application decision.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extensio
n-application-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extensio
n-application-01.txt>

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:16:06 -0500

(As individual)

Marianne,

I'm still struggling to make sense of this in the form proposed.

I look at the various cause values, and all the descriptions are of the 
form. E.g.:

       Cause value: 2
       Reason text: Freephone
       Description: A Freephone application has influenced processing of
       the call (e.g. by translating a dialed Free Phone number to a
       routable directory number).

I can't figure out how to make any actionable decision based on this.
Rather, it seems I need to make a number of leaps of faith before I can 
decide what to do.

For instance, if I get an error, it *might* be because I dialed a 
freephone number, and it isn't supported from my calling location. (E.g. 
maybe I'm dialing +1-800-555-1234, but I'm doing so from France, and 
calling that number is only supported in the USA.

But getting a application reason code with cause 2 doesn't really tell 
me that is what happened. It could be that the call indeed was routed 
through a freephone application, and it properly routed the call, and 
the call failed for some other reason. But the cause is there because 
the application *did* influence the call routing.

Also, these "applications" are not, AFAIK, mutually exclusive. E.g. I 
could be using a prepaid service to make a directory assistance call 
that costs extra $$$ that I don't have credits to cover. But you can't 
include two cause values for the same protocol. (But it is true that you 
*can* have a number of servers each put one cause into *their* H-I entry.)

So *maybe* I would see that my call failed, and that there is both a 
reason indicating a prepaid application on one H-I entry, and another 
indicating a another H-I indicating a directory service application. But 
what can I conclude from that?

Bottom line, I just can't make sense how this could be used in a well 
defined and interoperable way.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 2/28/2011 9:58 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>