Subject: [sipcore] Document Action: 'Example call flows using Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) security mechanisms' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-sipcore-sec-flows-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:44:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Example call flows using Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) security
   mechanisms'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-sec-flows-09.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-sec-flows/

Technical Summary
This document shows example call flows demonstrating the
use of Transport Layer Security (TLS), and Secure/Multipurpose
Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) in Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP). It also provides information that helps
implementers build interoperable SIP software.

Working Group Summary
This work traces its roots back to 2003, when it was first
introduced into the SIP working group. For much of its
lifetime, it existed quietly alongside the document
"Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation
Protocol," which is currently in the RFC Editors' queue.
After moving into SIPCORE, repeated requests by the chairs
for review yielded a small number of in-depth reviews.

Document Quality
According to one of the document authors, he has received
"many emails from implementors that use this draft." Using
this as our data point, the document's utility as a sanity
check for the security aspects of SIP implementations would
seem to be very high. Ole Johansson brought back practical
feedback from SIPit interoperabilty testing events regarding
some of the practical aspects of what needs to appear in
TLS certificates. 

Personnel

Adam Roach is the document shepherd.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible Area Director.