Subject: Re: [sipcore] IETF draft submission issue - please provide support and Guidance

From: salini singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:09:23 +0530

Hi,

This is Salini Singh, and  I have subscribed to SIPCORE mailing list.
I have a question : I want to submit a SIP-Draft -on existing SIP protocol
as a independent submission, can I submit via SIPCORE , putting 2 - question
on this:

*Question 1: “Intended status:” for existing standard**.*
Herein our draft which is to be submitted is about existing Internet
Standards Protocol – SIP ( Session Initiation Protocol) suggesting a new
feature and unique way to implement to avoid current unstable working
technique. What should I need to write against “Intended status:” within my
proposed draft. Should it be “Best current practice” or “Standards Track” .

 *Question 2: First line of the Internet draft*.
Our draft is intended for an advancement in existing SIP based protocol,
submitting for SIPCORE Working Group. Since I am submitting this proposed
draft independently  hence what should be the FIRST LINE OF THE DRAFT..
should it be “SIPCORE Working Group”or “Network Working Group”  or
“Independent Submission“.

What I need to do for this.
Do I have to put my Draft into discussion before submitting or it need your
approval for my draft name in the form - "draft-ietf-sipcore......" ?

Thanks and Regards,
Salini S

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:48:34 -0400

Salini,

I gather you are new to the ietf process.

First, it isn't clear from what you have stated below that sipcore would 
be the proper forum for the work you describe. We have a special work 
group in the RAI area that is charged with scoping out new work on SIP 
and determining if/how it should proceed. In my opinion, as co-chair of 
sipcore, that you should first present your concept to the dispatch WG. 
(That means you should subscribe to [email-masked] and send mail there.)

Regarding Intended Status: I think it is premature to determine that. It 
may even be premature to write a draft.

What I suggest is that you:
- subscribe to the [email-masked] mailing list
- send an email to that list, focusing primarily on giving a high level
   description of the problem you are trying to solve, preferable with
   some use cases. If you have some thoughts on how to solve the problem
   you can sketch them too, but don't invest too much effort in that,
   since it is likely to change significantly after the the problem is
   discussed by the community.
- you should frame the email above so as to solicit discussion and
   feedback on it. Hopefully that will come. If not, then perhaps your
   problem isn't of general interest. Or maybe your problem will need to
   be further clarified so others can relate to it.
- if it looks like there is interest, you can then submit a draft,
   with a name such as draft-singh-dispatch-xxxxx-00.txt. At this state
   it doesn't matter much what the intended status is, you can make it
   be informational, or whatever. It can be changed later.
   In this draft you would formalize the problem statement, use cases,
   and a list of requirements that any solution to the problem statement
   must fulfill.
- then you should send an email to the dispatch list referencing this
   draft and asking for comments on it.
- based on the comments received, you will likely want to submit one or
   more revisions to the draft, refining it.
- somewhere along the way in this process, the dispatch WG chairs will
   probably get involved to guide you in how to proceed, based on the
   interest in the subject expressed on the list.

You could skip the first few steps above, and go right to the step where 
you submit a draft. But if you haven't done this before it will probably 
be easier to start at the beginning.

	Good Luck,
	Paul Kyzivat, sipcore co-chair

On 8/17/11 5:39 AM, salini singh wrote:
> I have a question : I want to submit a SIP-Draft -on existing SIP
> protocol as a independent submission, can I submit via SIPCORE , putting
> 2 - question on this:
>
>
> *_Question 1: “Intended status:” for existing standard_*_._
> technique. What should I need to write against “Intended status:” within
> my proposed draft. Should it be “Best current practice” or “Standards
> Track” .
>
> _*Question 2: First line of the Internet draft*_.
> submitting for SIPCORE Working Group. Since I am submitting this
> proposed draft independently  hence what should be the FIRST LINE OF THE
> DRAFT.. should it be “SIPCORE Working Group”or “Network Working Group”
>   or “Independent Submission“.
>
>
> Do I have to put my Draft into discussion before submitting or it need
> your approval for my draft name in the form - "draft-ietf-sipcore......" ?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Salini S
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore