Subject: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:32:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The WebSocket Protocol as a Transport for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : Inaki Baz Castillo
                          Jose Luis Millan Villegas
                          Victor Pascual
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-10.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2013-11-28

Abstract:
   The WebSocket protocol enables two-way realtime communication between
   clients and servers in web-based applications.  This document
   specifies a WebSocket sub-protocol as a reliable transport mechanism
   between SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) entities to enable usage of
   SIP in web-oriented deployments.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 03:40:40 +0100

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-10

Hi,

The changelog for the version 10 of the draft is the following:

- Removed "_This section is non-normative_" at the top of
non-normative sections (those don't include normative keywords so they
are already non-normative).

- Use "RECOMMENDED" instead of "recommended" in section "Secure
WebSocket Connection" under "Security Considerations" (thanks to
Stephen Farrell).

- RFC 5246 (TLS Protocol Version 1.2) moved to normative references
(thanks to Stephen Farrell).

- Remove indentation of second paragraph in "WebSocket SIP
Sub-Protocol -> Handshake" section (thanks to Benoit Claise).

- Improvements and fixes in normative text (thanks to Pete Resnick).

- Replace "optional" with "not necessary" when talking about
Content-Length header (thanks to Pete Resnick).

- Remove "updates RFC 3261" given that an implementor of a SIP
UDP/TCP/TLS device does not need to know about SIP WebSocket transport
(requested by Stephen Farrell and others).

- Clarify that UTF-8 encoding is RECOMMENDED (given JavaScript and
WebSocket nature).

- Many changes in "Authentication" section, by making some MTI
authentication mechanisms (thanks to Pete Resnick).

- RFC 2617 (HTTP authentication) and RFC 6265 (HTTP Cookies) moved to
Normative References.

- Removed the text about "matching Web/WebSocket identity and SIP
identity" as it just makes sense in specific usecases (thanks to
Binod).

I'm really sorry for the delay in posting this new revision of the
draft. As always, your comments and feedback are welcome.

Thanks to all the members in the group.
Best regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>