Subject: [sipcore] Protocol Action: 'Clarifications for the use of REFER with RFC6665' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:59:38 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Clarifications for the use of REFER with RFC6665'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-refer-clarifications-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-refer-clarifications/

Technical Summary

  The SIP REFER method relies on the SIP-Specific Event Notification
  Framework.  That framework was revised by RFC6665.  This document
  highlights the implications of the requirement changes in RFC6665,
  and updates the definition of the REFER method, RFC3515, to clarify
  and disambiguate the impact of those changes.

Working Group Summary

  There was some controversy and difficulty in reaching agreement on this draft.
  Before work on this draft and the companion draft (draft-ietf-sipcore-refer-
  explicit-subscription) commenced, some (notably 3GPP) made attempts to use
  existing mechanisms (RFC4488) to avoid the need for GRUUs. That mechanism as
  insufficient on its own, and so was enhanced with particular conventions.
  There was a desire to maintain compatibility with that work. This led to
  careful word smithing. That has been discussed at length within the WG.
  The results are now acceptable to all parties.

Document Quality

  The shepherd is not aware of any implementations yet. 
  It is his understanding that 3GPP release 12 has a reference,
  indicating that implementations can be expected. 

  This document has been thoroughly reviewed and discussed. Everyone
  that had something to say has aired it. 

Personnel

The shepherd is Paul Kizivat. The responsible AD is Ben Campbell.