Subject: [sipcore] Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-06.txt> (Locating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servers in a Dual-Stack IP Network) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:42:32 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Session Initiation Protocol Core
WG (sipcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Locating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servers in a Dual-Stack IP
   Network'
  <draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-07-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 3263 defines how a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   implementation, given a SIP Uniform Resource Identifier (URI), should
   locate the next-hop SIP server using Domain Name System (DNS)
   procedures.  As SIP networks increasingly transition from IPv4-only
   to dual-stack, a quality user experience must be ensured for dual-
   stack SIP implementations.  This document updates the DNS procedures
   described in RFC 3263 for dual-stack SIP implementations in
   preparation for forthcoming specifications for applying Happy
   Eyeballs principles to SIP.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.