Subject: Re: [sipcore] WGLC: draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push - Roman's comments

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 23:49:54 -0500

Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]> writes:
>>I think in case of Android you can setup a wake up timer. Depending on
>>the number of registered users vs number of concurrent calls SIP
>>Registrations can create quite a >significant portion of the
>>load. Having an option not to trigger the push notification when
>>client can send a new registration would be useful.
>>
>>Another way to approach is for the push enabled proxy to specify the
>>interval after which it intends to refresh the registration. This way
>>SIP client can send a registration refresh slightly earlier and avoid
>>the push notification.
> 
> Not sure I follow. If the UA can use a timer to wake up, and send
> periodic re-registrations (or whatever messages) for keeping the
> connection alive, why does the UA have to use SIP push to begin with?

Primarily, SIP push is needed so that the proxy can wake up the UA when
there's an incoming request.  That can't be handled by the UA telling
its OS to wake it up after a set amount of time.

Dale