Subject: [Smart] draft-mcfadden-smart-rfc3552-research-methodology

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 09:58:08 -0500

All:

I've posted an I-D that proposes a piece of research to be done in support
of a possible revision to RFC 3552.  The general idea is to do an
examination of Security Considerations sections from published RFCs. Doing
that examination might help guide the revision of the fifteen-year-old
guidance on writing a Security Considerations section by providing both
quantitative and qualitative information about existing considerations
sections. That research might (or, might not) be published in its own right
and then used as input to drafting a RFC3552bis.

I propose the methodology as a place to start - rather than dive right in
and tackle the revision of RFC3552 immediately it seems prudent to learn
from what we can of recent published RFCs.  I'm not only proposing the
methodology for comment and discussion, but I'm also interested in helping
conduct the research once there is an agreed methodology.

Comments and suggestions welcome as are suggestions of where else to try to
gain input,

mark

Mark McFadden

Principal Consultantsea

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 22:34:16 -0500

Hi Mark,

You are not the only one who has noticed that revisiting RFC 3552 might be
timely -- I know of some thoughts in this space in both the IETF and the
IAB.  So it would be interesting to have results to look at; I do not have
any particular comment on the proposed methodoloy, though.

-Ben

> -- 
> Smart mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/smart