Subject: [smartobject-interest] CfP SE4SG @ ACM/IEEE ICSE 2014: 3rd International Workshop on Software Engineering Challenges for the Smart Grid

From: "Anne Koziolek (IPD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:20:16 +0100

Dear fellow researchers,

please consider submitting a paper and/or attending SE4SG, the 3rd 
International Workshop on Software Engineering Challenges for the Smart 
Grid. You find the CfP below.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anne Koziolek

=====================================================================
                          CALL FOR PAPERS
                   (Deadline: January 24, 2014)

                   3rd International Workshop on
        Software Engineering Challenges for the Smart Grid
                             (SE4SG)

                 June 1st 2014, Hyderabad, India
                    http://se4sg.ipd.kit.edu

               workshop in conjunction with ICSE 2014
                  http://2014.icse-conferences.org
=====================================================================

* Paper submission : Jan 24, 2014
* Acceptance notification : Feb 24, 2014
* Camera ready copy : Mar 14, 2014

=====================================================================

This 3rd workshop will focus on understanding and identifying the unique 
challenges and opportunities for SE to contribute to and enhance the 
design and development of the smart grid. In smart grids, the 
geographical scale, requirements on real-time performance and 
reliability, and diversity of application functionality all combine to 
produce a unique, highly demanding problem domain for SE to address. The 
objective of this workshop is to bring together members of the SE 
community and the power engineering community to understand these 
requirements and determine the most appropriate SE tools and methods.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

SE4SG workshop is interested in submissions on all topics related to 
identifying and developing appropriate methods, tools and techniques for 
smart grid software. Specifically, we will focus on:
* Applications that support power engineering operations. Such 
applications include, but are not limited to, event processing  systems 
for managing and manipulating large amounts of real-time sensor data, 
and systems that provide infrastructure for metering, analysis, decision 
support and control;
* Software and enterprise architectures tailored for smart grids, 
including the challenges of the Smart Grid as an ultra-large-scale system
* The need for designing applications with advanced computing 
capabilities. This requires understanding the implications of, for 
example, exploiting cloud computing and high performance, multicore 
computing platforms for computationally intensive smart grid functions;
* Designing analytic-numeric/simulation frameworks targeting smart 
grids. These can model designs and quantify system properties, such as 
responsiveness and availability, based on predictive (numerical, 
simulated) and historical data.
* Methodologies that apply advanced SE approaches to analyze and improve 
the properties of smart grid applications. These include model-driven 
development, self-managing and adaptive software systems, and quality 
reasoning and evaluation frameworks.
* Employing best practices for Requirements Engineering and V&V in smart 
grid. This includes considering the synergy between requirements and 
architectures in such a critical ultra-large-scale system.
* Standards-based distributed architecture solutions and reference 
architectures that enable open interfaces with plug-and-play hardware 
and software components.
* The design and analysis of robust, scalable security and privacy 
frameworks for the smart grid.
* Approaches to modeling and monitoring the system-wide performance, 
scalability and/or other quality properties of the smart grid software 
framework.
* SE approaches for business-IT alignment for smart grids
* Integrating smart grid topics into SE curriculums at teaching institutes
* Novel architectures for software systems supporting energy trading and 
business decisions in the context of smart grids
* Lessons learned and experience from successful application of smart 
grid industry standards in software systems
* Computational intelligence in smart grids

PAPER SUBMISSION DETAILS

All papers should be submitted through Easychair at 
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=se4sg14.

Research papers will be thoroughly reviewed for novelty, technical 
quality, scientific soundness and relevance. They should not exceed 8 
pages double column including figures and tables.
* Experience report papers cover innovative implementations, novel 
applications of smart grid related technologies, interesting results and 
experience in applying recent SE research advances to industrial 
situations on any of the topics of interest. Papers should be 6-8 pages 
double column including figures and tables.
* Vision papers present emerging research challenges and long-term 
research directions on hot topics of interest relevant to the smart grid 
domain. Submissions of papers should be 4 pages.

All papers must conform, at time of submission, to the ICSE 2014 paper 
formatting guidelines. Make sure that you use US letter page format 
(don't use A4!). Submissions must be in PDF format. Author names and 
affiliations shall not be suppressed on the title page of the paper.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
* Alberto Avritzer
* Len Bass
* Hong-Mei Chen
* Siobhan Clarke
* Ian Gorton
* Heiko Koziolek
* Sebastian Lehnhoff
* Yan Liu
* Daniel Sadoc Menasché
* Gabriel A. Moreno
* Martin Naedele
* TBC

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

* Anne Koziolek, KIT, Germany
* Kishor Trivedi, Duke U, USA
* Naran Pindoriya, IITGN, India

STEERING COMMITTEE

* Ian Gorton, Software Engineering Institute, USA
* Yan Liu, Concordia U, Canada
* Heiko Koziolek, ABB, Germany
* Mazeiar Salehie, Lero, Ireland

http://se4sg.ipd.kit.edu