Subject: [smartpowerdir] Vint Cerf joins the Smart Power Directorate

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:23:29 -0500

I asked Vint Cerf to join the smart power directorate, and he agreed to 
do it.

As you know, this directorate reports to the General Area Director 
(currently the IETF Chair), and it provides coordination between the 
IETF and others working on Smart Power.

Below is the whole membership of the directorate and its charter.

Russ

---- Directorate Members -----

Loosely representing an IETF Area:
   John Drake <[email-masked]> -- Routing
   Sam Hartman <[email-masked]> -- Security
   Wes Eddy <[email-masked]> -- Transport
   Andy Bierman <[email-masked]> -- Management
   Zack Shelby <[email-masked]> -- Internet
   Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> -- Applications
   Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]> -- RAI
   Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]> -- General
   Pierre Lin <[email-masked]> -- OPS

Liaisons with an interest:
   Fred Baker <[email-masked]> -- Liaison to SGIP
   JP Vasseur <[email-masked]> -- Liaison to ZigBee

Providing broader perspective:
   Ed Juskevicius <[email-masked]> -- Canadian perspective
   Zack Shelby <[email-masked]> -- CENELEC/ETSI efforts in Europe
   Vint Cerf <[email-masked]> -- SGIP Governing Board

Area Directors with an interest:
   Russ Housley <[email-masked]> -- General Area
   Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]> -- O&M Area
   Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> -- Internet Area
   Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> -- Internet Area

---- Directorate Charter -----

There are many initiatives to couple delivery of electricity with the
data communications used to control and monitor the electricity
generation, delivery infrastructure, and consuming devices. The U.S.
Smart Grid is one such initiative. A smart grid includes an intelligent
monitoring system that keeps track of all electricity flowing in the
system, and it employs two-way communications to reduce cost, improve
reliability, and increase transparency.

Recognizing that a smart grid has many similarities to the "Internet of
Things", developments associated with the use of Internet protocols to
connect many devices without human users can be applied without
enhancement to a smart grid.

The Smart Power Directorate provides review and coordination on the use
of Internet protocols to provide smart grid communications. The goal is
to point other organizations to relevant IETF documents and provide
review of documents from other organizations that depend upon Internet
protocols. If the directorate identifies a gap that requires new work
in the IETF, the directorate will raise the issue with the IESG. The
directorate will not develop new protocols or enhance existing ones.
This review and coordination will require expertise from all of the
Areas in the IETF.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:35:48 -0500

Thanks.  I fixed the mail list entry.

Russ

On 2/4/2010 11:32 AM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Russ,
>
> John Drake is now [email-masked]
>
> A
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Housley" <[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF SmartPower Directorate" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:23 PM
> Subject: Vint Cerf joins the Smart Power Directorate
>
>
>> I asked Vint Cerf to join the smart power directorate, and he agreed
>> to do it.
>>

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:32:38 +0000

Russ,

A