Subject: [smartpowerdir] planned workshop on IOT

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:20:37 +0200

Hannes, me, Zack, and a few others have been talking about organizing a 
workshop right before the next IETF on IOT. Thoughts? Good idea/bad 
idea? Sufficient participation can be drummed up?

----

Internet Scale Machine-to-Machine Networking

Background

Today's Internet is experienced by users as a set of applications,
such as email, instant messaging, and social networks. While these
applications do not require users to be present at the time of service
execution in many cases they are. There are also substantial
differences in performance between the various end devices, but in
general end devices participating in the Internet are considered to be
of higher performance.

As we move forward with the interconnection of all kinds of devices to
the Internet, these characteristics will change. "Internet of Things"
is a vision where a large number of devices benefit from the
communication services offered by the Internet. Many of these devices
are not directly operated by humans, but exist as stand-alone
components in buildings, vehicles, and the environment. There will be
a lot of variation in the computing power, available memory, and
communications bandwidth between different types of devices.

Many of these devices provide new services or provide more value for
our previously unconnected devices. Some devices have been connected
in various legacy means in the past but are now migrating to the use
of the Internet Protocol, sharing the same communications medium
between all applications and enabling rich communications services.

Much of this development can simply run on existing Internet
protocols. For instance, home entertainment and monitoring systems
often offer a web interface to the end user. In many cases the new,
constrained environments can benefit from additional protocols that
help optimize the communications and lower the computational
requirements. Examples of standardization efforts targeted for these
environments include the "Constrained RESTful Environments (core)",
IPv6 over Low power WPAN (6lowpan)", Routing Over Low power and Lossy
networks (roll)" working groups.

This workshop aims to explore the experience and approaches taken by
developers of Internet technology, when considering the
characteristics of constraint devices. Engineers know that many design
considerations need to be taken into account when developing protocols
and architecture. Balancing between the conflicting goals of computing
performance, code size, economical incentives, and security is often
difficult, as illustrated by Clark, et al. in "Tussle in Cyberspace:
Defining Tomorrow's Internet", see
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle2002.pdf

This workshop aims to discuss the experience and approaches taken when
designing Internet of Things into protocols and architectures. To
frame the discussion we suggest, as examples, to investigate the area
of integration in the following categories:

* scalability
* power usage
* interworking between different technologies and network domains
* usability and manageability
* security

"To make the Internet work better" is the goal of the IETF and the
workshop organizers are interested in receiving contributions and in
having discussions that support this goal. Results may lead to
guidelines and recommendations, the development of standards, further
need for research, or implementation and configuration best current
practices.

Workshop Style

The workshop’s main focus will be on the discussions. In order to keep
the group at a manageable size, participants are required to submit a
position paper as an expression of interest. Submitters of accepted
position papers will be invited to attend the workshop. Active
participation will be expected.

The workshop will be structured as a series of working sessions
punctuated by invited speakers who will present relevant background
information or controversial ideas that help participants reach a
deeper understanding of the subject. The organizing committee may ask
submitters of particularly salient papers to present their ideas and
experiences at the workshop. For each slot, there will be one or two
invited controversial speakers, and group work on the problem that’s
identified, hopefully reaching either a deeper understanding of the
problem or some means of approaching it.

Important Dates

Position papers must be submitted at latest February, 11th, 2011.

Submitted position papers will be reviewed immediately by the program
organizers and an invitation to the workshop will be sent to one of
the paper authors. At latest, invitations will be distributed by
February, 25th.

This one-day workshop will take place on Friday, 25th March, 2011,
right before the 80th IETF meeting in Prague, which starts on Sunday,
27th March. Independently of this workshop but relevant for the
participants are tutorial events on Saturday, 26th March 2011. These
tutorials will focus on ongoing IETF efforts related to the IETF CORE,
ROLL, and 6LOWPAN working groups.

Position Papers Requirements

Interested parties must submit a brief contribution describing their
work or approach as it relates to the workshop theme. We welcome
visionary ideas for how to tackle the integration of constraint
devices, as well as write-ups of deployment experience, and
lessons-learned from successful or failed attempts at integrating
these constraint devices with the Internet. Contributions are not
required to be original in content.

We solicit brief write-ups with 1 or 2 pages, formatted in HTML, PDF,
or plain text. We encourage paper authors to focus on the most
important challenge. A focused message will be key! Accepted position
papers will be published (in addition to meeting minutes, slides, and
a workshop report).

Please send your position paper to [email-masked].

Venue

The planned date and location for the workshop is Friday, March 25th,
in Prague. Details about the meeting venue will be provided to the
invited workshop participants. During the breaks coffee and tea will
be served.

There are no plans for remote participation. Minutes of discussions
will be available, and offers to organize audio recording would be
gladly appreciated.

Workshop Organizers

We look forward to your input. The workshop organizers are Jari Arkko
(Internet Area Director), Hannes Tschofenig (IAB), Bernard Aboba
(IAB), Carsten Bormann (core and 6lowpan WG Chair), David Culler (ROLL
WG Chair), Lars Eggert (Transport Area Director, and upcoming IRTF
Chair), JP Vasseur (ROLL WG Chair), Stewart Bryant (Routing Area
Director), Adrian Farrel (Routing Area Director), Ralph Droms
(Internet Area Director), Geoffrey Mulligan (6lowpan WG Chair), Alexey
Melnikov (Applications Area Director), Peter Saint-Andre (Applications
Area Director), Marcelo Bagnulo (IAB), Zach Shelby (protocol
author/editor), Isidro Ballesteros Laso (European Commission).

More detailed information about the workshop is available at:
http://www.iab.org/about/workshops/iot/

Feel free to contact us at [email-masked].

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:07:50 -0700

Jari,
  Is there any way to make this workshop on Saturday?  Putting it on
Friday means that we have to leave the US at the latest by Thursday and
in reality on Wednesday.  Personally this makes it very unlikely that I
will be able to attend.

Not sure about all the others traveling from the US.

	geoff

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:34:39 -0800

I have heard a rumor that such a workshop is being discussed, but I have no idea what mailing list it's on. Clue please? I'd like to attend.

For myself, the difference of a day is "just a day". Prior to the Maastricht IETF, NIST/SGIP PAP #1 held a workshop on the Thursday, in Detroit, and I had to attend. If this is on the Friday, so much the better. My first choice would be to travel to Prague and be where I am going rather than traveling to one city and then traveling again to Prague. But I could be argued into coming to Helsinki or such, as long as I can get there by air coming from the US.

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:23:31 +0200

Hi Geoff, 

the suggestion was to have the workshop on Friday and tutorials on Saturday. 

Recently, we organized a privacy workshop in Boston and it was not attached to any other event. Hence, everyone had to travel without any ability to optimize. 

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:45:48 +0200

Fred: we are just setting this up (the call for papers that I 
distributed was written on Monday) so that's why you haven't heard too 
much from it before. The call is a draft, and the links on it do not yet 
work. And the IAB has not given us a blessing yet.

The idea was to hold this in Prague, not on some other place just to 
make it more likely that people can make it. I'm sympathetic to 
extending people's week away from home, and I realize that for some 
people they might have to arrive Thursday instead of Sunday, so there is 
a difference. On the other hand many of us are busy on Sunday, some even 
on Saturday, and some people might prefer to meet only on weekdays.

Anyway. That is details at this stage. I'm sure we can work it out. The 
big question is, do we think this would be (a) useful and (b) there'd be 
enough clueful participation to make it worthwhile?

Jari

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:13:04 -0800

On Dec 22, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> Anyway. That is details at this stage. I'm sure we can work it out. The big question is, do we think this would be (a) useful and (b) there'd be enough clueful participation to make it worthwhile?

If you hold it, I'll come. If that's enough clue for you, you have your answer :-)

What mailing list?

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:23:05 -0800

I'll suggest making sure Lixia can attend. She has some relevant ideas.

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:04:34 -0700

Why not put the tutorials on Friday and the workshop on Saturday.  That
way folks will be educated at the tutorials before the workshop rather
than after.

	geoff

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:10:46 -0800

> way folks will be educated at the tutorials before the workshop rather

Because the IESG meets on Saturday?

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:37:33 -0500

We'll meet on Sunday.  I don't think we have anything planned for Saturday.

- Ralph

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:03:34 -0700

Why not put the tutorials on Friday and the workshop on Saturday.

	geoff

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:36:34 +0200

Hi Geoff, 

the reason for the order is was the following: We want to restrict participation at the workshop. Hence, there is a requirement for a position paper (as an expression of interest). Then, the workshop organizers will read through the papers and invite some of the authors. We want to limit the participants to 40-50 persons to have a manageable group (to have discussions).

For the tutorial session we do not have the same restrictions. It is open for everyone who registers in time. I would therefore expect a punch of IETF folks to show up.

If we do the tutorial session on Friday then we require a punch of folks to arrive earlier and we do not allow them to show up at the workshop on Saturday. That feels a bit strange. 

We should nevertheless think about your suggestion.

Ciao
Hannes