Subject: [Spasm] WG Review: Some PKIX and SMIME (spasm)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:33:37 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Security Area. The IESG has not
made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2016-06-27.

Some PKIX and SMIME (spasm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spasm
  Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spasm/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-spasm/

The PKIX and S/MIME Working Groups have been closed for some time.  Some
updates have been proposed to the X.509 certificate documents produced 
by the PKIX Working Group and the electronic mail security documents 
produced by the S/MIME Working Group.

The SPASM (Some PKIX and S/MIME) Working Group is chartered to make
updates where there is a known constituency interested in real 
deployment and there is at least one sufficiently well specified 
approach to the update so that the working group can sensibly evaluate 
whether to adopt a proposal.  The current charter encompasses updates to 
satisfy the following needs:

1. Specify the way to include an i18n email address as a subject
   alternative name and an issuer alternative name.
   draft-melnikov-spasm-eai-addresses is a proposal in this space. 

2. Specify the way to use authenticated encryption in S/MIME. 
   draft-schaad-rfc5751-bis is a proposal in this space.

In addition, the SPASM Working Group may investigate other updates to 
the documents produced by the PKIX and S/MIME Working Groups, but the 
SPASM Working Group shall not adopt any of these potential work items 
without rechartering. No such re-chartering is envisaged until one or 
more of the above work items have been successfully delivered to the RFC 
editor queue. 

Milestones:

TBD

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 15:33:44 +0100

Two things:

1. The IETF96 slot for this may be moving. I'll send mail when/if
that happens but please be aware of it as you plan travel. (The
draft agenda remains a draft agenda until it's a final agenda:-)

2. We got a comment that the WG name might be considered undesirable.
I don't want to debate that but since it's a "don't care" we'll
likely change the WG name. Feel free to suggest other names here in
the next day or two and Kathleen and I will pick a winner. Or if
folks don't suggest stuff, Kathleen and I will just pick something.
(We'll ensure the mailing list migrates etc. and will send a
heads-up on that as it happens.)

Cheers,
S.

---

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:14:20 -0700

> heads-up on that as it happens.)

PAIN: PKIX and Internationalized Names

:)

Sean

> _______________________________________________
> Spasm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spasm

---

From: Michael Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 15:07:20 -0400

lamps - Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME
psych - PKIX (and) SMIME You Can Hack
slew - Short Lived Extra Work - this could be indefinitely rechartered for
any defunct WG

-- 
Mike Jenkins
[email-masked] - if you want me to read it only at my desk
[email-masked] - to read everywhere
443-634-3951

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:57:48 +0100

> lamps - Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME

That's the winner!

You'll see various mails on this shortly probably if the
secretariat can get this changed for the Berlin agenda
(which I think they can).

The secretariat will migrate the mailing list without
you having to do stuff, but I'm not yet sure when that'll
happen.

Thanks,
S.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:03:39 +0100

Hi,

During chartering we got a comment that the proposed name of
this WG might be considered insensitive. We don't need to
have a discussion about that, as it makes little difference
otherwise, but we will be changing the name of the proposed
working group to:

Thanks to Michael Jenkins for the suggestion on the current
WG mailing list. [1]

The secretariat will handle migrating the mailing list in
the coming weeks, and the IETF96 agenda will be updated
accordingly, assuming that the IESG approve the new working
group on the telechat tomorrow. If approved, the announcement
of the working group will use the new name, "lamps."

There are no other substantive changes to the draft charter. [2]

Thanks,
S.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spasm/t4f5LKRJILn0KsLQdzA1fo8B1lM
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-spasm/