Subject: [lamps] RFC 8551 on Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8551

        Title:      Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) 
                    Version 4.0 Message Specification 
        Author:     J. Schaad,
                    B. Ramsdell,
                    S. Turner
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      63
        Characters: 136849
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5751

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8551

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8551

This document defines Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
(S/MIME) version 4.0.  S/MIME provides a consistent way to send and
receive secure MIME data.  Digital signatures provide authentication,
message integrity, and non-repudiation with proof of origin.
Encryption provides data confidentiality.  Compression can be used to
reduce data size.  This document obsoletes RFC 5751.

This document is a product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC