Subject: [Speechsc] SpeechSC and audio transmission protocols

From: "Salvador Neto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:50:25 -0700

Hi all,

We would like to raise the following concern on audio transmission
protocols in SpeechSC, which we had a chance to discuss with Eric Burger
a couple of weeks ago in person.

We believe that SpeechSC as a control protocol should not define nor
dictate what media transmission protocol to use. People should be able
to use SpeechSC to negotiate different signal protocols (RTP or TCP for
example) according to different needs. In real time communication like
text-to-speech, RTP will be an appropriate choice. In a speech
recognition service scenario, a guaranteed-delivery protocol like TCP
could be more appropriate. One perspective on this is that there is a
trade-off between delay and quality of transmission that is dependent on
the application, and that SpeechSC itself should not decide that
trade-off, if it is to be applicable to different applications (and the
one that seems often overlooked in the discussions is a multimodal
client/DCR scenario). 

So, in summary, we believe the current requirement for SpeechSC to only
allow RTP is too heavy, and request that it be revisited in light of the
above. 

Thanks,
Salva