Subject: Re: [Speechsc] MRCPv2 Comments

From: Jeff Kusnitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:31:28 -0800

I agree with your first example - not necessarily for TTS itself, as I'd 
almost expect an SSML engine to be able to cache frequently seen text. But 
it also would be useful to precache some audio files - large ones in 
particular would be useful to have cached in advance (yes, I realize once 
they're fetched they can stay cached, but to get them cached, one has to 
render an SSML document currently).

In the second example, I'm not sure I follow - you'd like the dialog to go 
something like:

        system: finding quotes for minivan
        user: .. Dodge
        system: got dodge
        user: .. Ford
        system: got ford
        user: ..Mitsubishi
        system: got mitsubishi
        user: ..Audi
        system: got audi
        user: ..Vokswagen
        system: got Vokswagen
        user: ..BMW
        system: got BMW

        [some app-specified delay elapses]

        system: Please wait while the system searches for best quotes

And then, the system will search for the list of cars?  If so, this seems 
like something that could/should be implemented by the client or the 
application rather than the server.  The VoiceXML, in fact, would probably 
be something like a single field with a grammar, and in the field's filled 
handler, it appends the reco results to an array of results queues a "got 
xxx" prompt, and clears the field (which causes the FIA to reselect it), 
and then in the noinput handler, which happens after the timeout, the 
searching takes place.

Or did I misunderstand what you're trying to do?

Thanks,
Jeff

[email-masked]
Sent by: [email-masked]
11/25/2003 05:25 AM
 
        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc:     <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: [Speechsc] MRCPv2 Comments

Hi Mr Sarvi,

Thank you for the reply. Please find my comments below.

>With TTS there is no explicit content create or delete.  There is inline 
content, that is stored on the server for the life of the SPEAK request. 
And there is URI referenced content(either specified as  a URI, or 
specified as a URI from inside an inline content), which may be held in 
a local cache on the media server. The client uses the Cache-Directive 
fields to tell the media server, what caching directive values to use in 
the media servers document cache for thsi session or Request..

None of these cache directives applies for the inline content itself, 
but only applies for content that is URI referenced and hence those that 
>the media server would have to go and fetch and possibly cache.

Exactly. Wouldnt there be cases when the TTS inline content would have to 
be stored beyond the SPEAK request timeline? As a crude example, say for 
instance the ASR couldnt recognize the speech data and the TTS would send 
back a text saying "I didnt understand, please say again". This text might 
have to be repeated multiple times within a page (or throughout the 
session). The text could be inline and can have a content-id associated 
with it where subsequent SPEAK request can invoke through the content-id. 
Also there could be other application specific TTS text that the author 
could write that will give feedback to the user based on ASR response 
metadata. The author can set multiple TTS text (each text with own id) at 
the server and the client can later invoke a particular TTS text based on 
an interaction condition (or based on metadata from the recognition 
result). 

>2. No INTERMEDIATE_RECOGNITION_RESULT send event from the recognizer and 
provision for setting this with the message fields (eg SET-PARAMS)
Can you elaborate on the need for this. Are you refering to recognition 
in stages(recgonizer, NL etc.) or are you refering to parital 
>recognition. If so could you provide an example of its usage.

I am referring to partial results when they become available. For example, 
here is an interaction for a car sales application

user: get me the best quotes for minivans in Manhattan area
system: what models are you interested in? 
user: Dodge, Ford, Mitsubishi, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW
system: finding quotes for minivan
.. Dodge
.. Ford
..Mitsubishi
..Audi
..Vokswagen
..BMW

Please wait while the system searches for best quotes

In the interaction above, the ASR grammar would be written in such a way 
as to allow the user to make multiple selections (even multiple selections 
in mixed initiative). It would be desirable then to give feedback to the 
user when each model gets recognized. This result would be sent back to 
the client when a match in an active grammar is found. This could be 
coupled with a Speech_Timeout_Value when the recognizer would decide that 
the user has done all the selections.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sailesh.
 
Sailesh Kumar Sathish      GSM +358 50 4835679
Nokia Research Center      Desk +358 3 272 5679
P.O.Box 100, Tampere      [email-masked]
Finland -33721

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc