Subject: Re: [Speechsc] Recognizer Context Block registry

From: Sarvi Shanmugham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:30:25 -0800

The current idea was that each vendor would be able to context blocks 
generated by them, by some sort of unique identifier they choose to use.

Is this tag proposal, becuase you feel the above mechanism will not meet 
our needs?

Sarvi

Eric Burger wrote:

>Right now it is a free-for-all to have some kind of internal tagging for the recognizer context block to let a vendor know that the block belongs to them.
>
>How about adding a vendor tag?  We can have an IANA registry of vendor tag names, so we can be sensible (e.g., no x-mumble).
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Speechsc mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc
>
>  
>

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:43:08 -0500

Explicit registries always work better than relying on stochastic 
non-collision when what you want to register are types, not instances.

There's much religious history on using stochastic assignment for instances 
(e.g. IEEE MAC addresses, connection identifiers, etc.) but I've always 
been on the side of doing stochastic assignment for instances.

If the above seems like gobbledegook, let me try again.

I think we ought to have a vendor registry and only allow extensions that 
are:
a) identified under the corresponding vendor identifier
b) *explicitly* documented and registered with IANA.

This is the only thing which seems to be saving SIP from total descent into 
proprietary vendor extension hell.

Dave.

--On Tuesday, February 3, 2004 11:30 PM -0800 Sarvi Shanmugham 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is this tag proposal, because you feel the above mechanism will not meet
> our needs?
>
> Sarvi
>
> Eric Burger wrote:
>
>> Right now it is a free-for-all to have some kind of internal tagging for
>> the recognizer context block to let a vendor know that the block belongs
>> to them.
>>
>> How about adding a vendor tag?  We can have an IANA registry of vendor
>> tag names, so we can be sensible (e.g., no x-mumble).
>>
>>