Subject: [Speechsc] Status Codes

From: "Reifenrath, Klaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:56:22 -0400

SIP distinguishes between 4xx and 5xx error codes:
4xx: Client Error -- the request contains bad syntax or cannot be fulfilled
at this server;
5xx: Server Error -- the server failed to fulfil an apparently valid
request;

This seems to be useful also for MRCP.

I think the following status codes should be added to the spec:

410 Unsupported Media Type
The server is refusing to service the request because the message
body of the request is in a format not supported by the requested
resource for the requested method. 

Unfortunately there is currently no mechanism in place to find out which
media types are supported by a resource.

411 Length Required
The server refuses to accept the request without a defined Content-
Length. The client MAY repeat the request if it adds a valid
Content-Length header field containing the length of the message-body
in the request message.

500 Server Internal Error (would replace 407)
The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from
fulfilling the request. The client MAY display the specific error
condition, and MAY retry the request.

501 Not Implemented
The server does not support the functionality required to fulfil the
request. This is the appropriate response when the resource does not
recognize the request method and is not capable of supporting it.

502 Version Not Supported
The server does not support, or refuses to support, the MRCP protocol
version that was used in the request message. The server is
indicating that it is unable or unwilling to complete the request
using the same major version as the client, other than with this
error message. 

What error code should be returned by a server if the client tries to 
set an unsupported vendor specific parameter?
403 (unsupported parameter) seems not to be right, because the MRCP
parameter 
'vendor-specific-parameter' is supported.
404 (illegal value for parameter) could be used, but is misleading

Regards,
Klaus

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc