Subject: [Speechsc] m=application line grammar in the MRCPv2 context

From: "Vadim.Ivlev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:28:56 -0500

To Whom It May Concern:
 
Grammar for m=application line seems to contradict the SDP RFC4566,
which requires at least one format:
 
   media-field =         %x6d "=" media SP port ["/" integer]
                         SP proto 1*(SP fmt) CRLF
 
whereas 
    m=application 9 TCP/MRCPv2
has no fmt field.
 
Should this m-line look like:
    m=application 9 TCP MRCPv2
or
    m=application 9 TCP/TLS MRCPv2
this problem would be eliminated.
 
Sincerely,

Vadim Ivlev

Senior Software Engineer

220 Perry Parkway

Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Tel.: (240) 364-5205

Fax: (301) 977-8846

E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:37:52 -0800

This is a situation where I cannot believe anyone, including MYSELF, missed
this one.  Vadim - you get the prize for finding a show-stopper bug BEFORE
the IESG finds it and halts publication.

Of all the comments and discussion in the past six months, this one will
require a fix to the specification.  We have directed the editors to correct
the text.

I am sorry in that on the one hand, this may break existing MRCPv2
implementations.  HOWEVER, not fixing this means a standard SDP parser will
not properly parse MRCPv2 SDP, which is not acceptable.

On 2/8/07 2:28 PM, "Vadim.Ivlev" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern:
>  
> Grammar for m=application line seems to contradict the SDP RFC4566, which
> requires at least one format:
>  

_______________________________________________________________________
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.