Subject: [Speechsc] Continuous speech recognition in MRCP

From: Tomáš Valenta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:45:08 +0100

Dear SpeechSC list members,

in our company we are implementing TTS and ASR solutions using MRCP. For 
ASR we would like to use the protocol not only for recognition of short 
utterances based on simple grammar; scheme

C->S: RECOGNIZE
S->C: IN-PROGRESS
S->C: START-OF-INPUT
S->C: RECOGNITION-COMPLETE (result)

but also for continuous speech recognition (e.g. minutes or tens of 
minutes, dictations, ...) with immediate results. Unfortunately there is 
no such approach in MRCPv2 specification draft. We thought about using 
following scheme:

C->S: RECOGNIZE (continuous)
S->C: IN-PROGRESS
S->C: START-OF-INPUT
S->C: IN-PROGRESS (partial_result_1)
...
S->C: IN-PROGRESS (partial_result_n)
C->S: STOP

Imagine an application for writing dictation so that user can see 
immediately what he said. The recognizer could be located on a remote 
machine.

The (continuous) parameter to the RECOGNIZE request could be a type of 
grammar (built-in language model specification, in fact) or a header 
value. Do you find this approach a clean solution? Or do not you think 
continuous speech recognition should be part of MRCPv2 specification?

Kindest regards and thanks for comments,
Tomas Valenta

PS. Originally we started discussing this topic with Arsen Chaloyan 
(author of UniMRCP) here:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/unimrcp/pSaDbhHPh3M/discussion

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:38:45 -0500

That looks sensible. Right now that extension would be out of the current MRCP charter, but if there is interest, I'm sure folks could get together to extend MRCPv2, either as an individual submission or with rechartering of the work group.

Will you be in Prague for IETF 80? It's under 1.5 hours away from Plzen...

On Mar 9, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Tomáš Valenta wrote:

> in our company we are implementing TTS and ASR solutions using MRCP. For ASR we would like to use the protocol not only for recognition of short utterances based on simple grammar; scheme
> 
> C->S: RECOGNIZE
> S->C: IN-PROGRESS
> S->C: START-OF-INPUT
> but also for continuous speech recognition (e.g. minutes or tens of minutes, dictations, ...) with immediate results. Unfortunately there is no such approach in MRCPv2 specification draft. We thought about using following scheme:
> 
> Imagine an application for writing dictation so that user can see immediately what he said. The recognizer could be located on a remote machine.
> 
> The (continuous) parameter to the RECOGNIZE request could be a type of grammar (built-in language model specification, in fact) or a header value. Do you find this approach a clean solution? Or do not you think continuous speech recognition should be part of MRCPv2 specification?
> 
> PS. Originally we started discussing this topic with Arsen Chaloyan (author of UniMRCP) here:
> _______________________________________________
> Speechsc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc
> Supplemental web site:
> &lt;http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/speechsc&gt;