Subject: [Speechsc] Protocol Action: 'Media Resource Control Protocol Version 2 (MRCPv2)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2-28.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:30:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Media Resource Control Protocol Version 2 (MRCPv2)'
  (draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2-28.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Speech Services Control Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2/

Technical Summary

The MRCPv2 protocol allows client hosts to control media
service resources such as speech synthesizers, recognizers, verifiers and
identifiers residing in servers on the network.  MRCPv2 is not a "stand-alone"
protocol - it relies on a session management protocol such as the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) to establish the MRCPv2 control session between the
client and the server, and for rendezvous and capability discovery.  It also
depends on SIP and SDP to establish the media sessions and associated parameters
between the media source or sink and the media server.  Once this is done, the
MRCPv2 protocol exchange operates over the control session established above,
allowing the client to control the media processing resources on the speech
resource server.

Working Group Summary

Nothing out of the ordinary happened in the WG to note.

Document Quality

There are over 20 interoperable implementations of clients, servers, open source, 
and APIs based on this document. 

Personnel

Eric Burger is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks is the responsible AD