Subject: Facility (was: RE: [Syslog-sec] Syslog protocol draft(draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-11.txt))

From: "Alexander Clemm (alex)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:56:23 -0700

Hi,

I wanted to again bring up the concept of facility.  Perhaps the working
group has gone through this many times before already, in which case I
apologize as I'm still "new to the party".   Is there any specific
strong reason why facility should be restricted to a number in the range
0..2147483647?  If not, my preference would be that facility not be
restricted to a numeric identifier, but that alphanumeric characters be
permissible.  

Now, taking this further, section 6.2.2 indicates that facility may be
"operator assigned" and may be utilized for some "grouping of messages"
by receivers.  This appears to be pretty application specific, and I am
wondering if this type of semantics really belongs in the "core" of the
protocol, or if (since it may essentially involve application-specific
semantics) it it would not be more appropriate to put such a facility
into SD elements.  It would appear that the "core" should only include
fields that will be used widely across by pretty much any
implementation, with very precisely defined semantics, while SDs are
more intended for things that are optional, or things whose use depends
on certain conditions.  As facility is currently defined in section
6.2.2, it appears more a candidate for the latter.  Any comments?  
 
Thanks
--- Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexander
Clemm (alex)
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 8:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Syslog-sec] Syslog protocol
draft(draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-11.txt)

[...]

Required syslog format:  There are essentially 3 parts of the message
which identify the originator of the message, not even counting the host
name:
Facility, App-Name, Proc-ID.  
- Should they be grouped together - why separate them for example with
the truncate field - may want to take a look at the order of the fields.
I would think that the truncate field should in fact either appear after
the version field, or right before the structured data field.  
- Why would facility consist only of digits, not alphanumeric characters
- Are three fields really needed?  It seems that it makes sense to allow
to identify the type of the subsystem or application that generates the
syslog message, as well as the particular instance in case there are
several.  This makes two fields.  Why a third field?  
 
[...]
_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec