Subject: Syslog message fragmentation (was: RE: [Syslog-sec] Syslog protocol draft(draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-11.txt))

From: "Alexander Clemm (alex)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:13:41 -0700

Hi,

one more topic, concerning message fragmentation.  I believe Anton
Okmianski may also have brought this up in the past.  

While it is possible to address multi-part messages as part of
additional SD elements, possibly defined in an add-on specification, it
appears it would make sense to incorporate this capability into the
syslog protocol itself, specifically since truncating is defined also.
This concerns the ability to "break up" a message into multiple
fragments, example part 1 of 3, part 2 of 3, and part 3 of 3, if the
message would otherwise be too long.  Such a fragmentation COULD be
carried out by an sender, including interim systems (relays).  

The following is a sketch what this would look like.  Clearly, if it
were decided to incorporate, more detailed specification is required.
In essence, fragmentation would require an additional field, possibly a
standard SD element.  The field would consist of the following
components, delimited per a to be determined convention: 
- A message identifier.  (This is not the same as the MSG-ID, as it
would refer to a particular message instance, not to a message type.) 
- Which part of the message this is (first, second, third, and so on)
- How many parts there are in total.  

Subsequent messages that are different parts would all reiterate the
header of the message, probably also the structured data (this aspect
could be discussed).  It would be the message part itself that would be
subjected to fragmentation.  

As it is not permitted to have multiple instances of the same SD
Element, recursive multiple fragmentations would curently be prohibited.
This would mean it is NOT permitted to have a part 2 of 2 of a part 1 of
3. If this constraint shall be maintained, it should also be specified
that IF fragmentation should occur, that the fragments should be small
for each of the fragments not to include 480 octets including header and
SD data.  

Anyway, if there is interest in this the details can be worked out for
sure.  Again, I believe this would be a very useful feature to
incorporate.  Comments?

Regards
--- Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexander
Clemm (alex)
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 8:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Syslog-sec] Syslog protocol
draft(draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-11.txt)

[...] 
 
Concerning message length: would it make sense to allow for a means by
which messages could be fragmented, as an option in addition to
truncating?  This could be addressed by having standard structured data
elements that specify a message as part 1 of 2, for example.  Of course,
with regards to relays it may imply that messages may need to be altered
by relays accordingly.  
 
[...]
_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec