Subject: RE: [Syslog-sec] Wrapping up syslog-protocol andsyslog-transport-udp

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:54:33 +0200

Clément, 

> I'm hopping it is not too late.

well... I am even later ;)

> 
> I had like to add in section 6.1 that when a relay truncates the MSG
> field, the resulting string MUST be a valid UTF-8 sequence. It is so
> easy to forget...

added

> 
> As second item I am wondering why section 6.3 says that it is 
> mandatory
> to escape '"', '\' and ']' but a receiver SHOULD accepts an invalid
> message. Maybe it has been discussed before ? 
> 
> IMHO it will make more sense to permit escapement of any character or
> to tell that an invalid escapement will result in message dropping. 

I have updated the section as follows:

###
   A backslash ('\') followed by none of the three described characters
   is considered an invalid escape sequence.  Upon reception of such an
   invalid escape sequence, the receiver MAY replace the two-character
   sequence with only the second character received.  Alternatively, it
   MAY drop the message.  It is RECOMMENDED that the receiver logs a
   diagnostic on reception of invalid escape sequences.
###

The reasoning in allowing invalid escapes is that in this use case, invalid escapes do not really cause any harm. OK, the message is not perfectly formatted, but the result should be acceptable. I do not see any strong enough reason to require a receiver to discard the message. The new text of course allows this.

If you have a strong reasoning for a hard requirement to drop the message, please let me know.

Rainer
_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec