Subject: [Syslog-sec] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The syslog Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Gerhards
	Filename	: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 2005-7-14
	
This document describes the syslog protocol, which is used to convey
   event notification messages.  This protocol utilizes a layered
   architecture, which allows the use of any number of transport
   protocols for transmission of syslog messages.  It also provides a
   message format that allows vendor-specific extensions to be provided
   in a structured way.

   This document has been written with the spirit of traditional syslog
   in mind.  The reason for a new layered specification has arisen
   because standardization efforts for reliable, and secure syslog
   extensions suffer from the lack of a standards-track and transport
   independent RFC.  Without this document, each other standard needs to
   define its own syslog packet format and transport mechanism, which
   over time will introduce subtle compatibility issues.  This document
   tries to provide a foundation that syslog extensions can build on.
   The layered architecture also provides a solid basis that allows code
   to be written once instead of multiple times, once for each syslog
   feature.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec