Subject: [Syslog] Reliable syslog - rfc 3195

From: Peter Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:35:58 -0500

Hello Chris

I keep hearing that rfc3195 is being depreciated or has been already,
apparently because of some problems with the standard ( Which I haven't seen
). Can you or anyone else here please tell me what is correct. I'm have been
developing a rfc3195 compliant server and client tools and I really don't
want to waste my time if it's going to disappear.

Thanks
Peter

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:11:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Peter,

> want to waste my time if it's going to disappear.

RFC 3195 has not been deprecated.  It is currently a Proposed Standard. 
First we need to get syslog-protocol out and implementations should 
incorporate that.  Once we have some interoperable implementations of that 
we can advance it to a Draft Standard by generating an implementation 
report and a revision.  Implementaters such as yourself should start 
tracking a list of things that need to be addressed in a revision (length 
has been noted).

I have spoken to a person who has a very good working knowledge of BEEP. 
He is willing to undertake a revision of RFC 3195 if he can find a 
co-author who is implementing.  Again, let's get syslog-protocol out the 
door first.  :)

Thanks,
Chris