Subject: [Syslog] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt (fwd)

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:47:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

This is it.  We need people to review this and get back to the WG. 
When you reivew it, either send in notes about issues, or respond by 
saying that you have reviewed it.  (We DO need "me too's".)

Thanks,
Chris

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:50:02 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

  	Title		: The syslog Protocol
  	Author(s)	: R. Gerhards
  	Filename	: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt
  	Pages		: 45
  	Date		: 2006-1-3

This document describes the syslog protocol, which is used to convey
     event notification messages.  This protocol utilizes a layered
     architecture, which allows the use of any number of transport
     protocols for transmission of syslog messages.  It also provides a
     message format that allows vendor-specific extensions to be provided
     in a structured way.

     This document has been written with the spirit of traditional syslog
     in mind.  The reason for a new layered specification has arisen
     because standardization efforts for reliable, and secure syslog
     extensions suffer from the lack of a standards-track and transport
     independent RFC.  Without this document, each other standard needs to
     define its own syslog packet format and transport mechanism, which
     over time will introduce subtle compatibility issues.  This document
     tries to provide a foundation that syslog extensions can build on.
     The layered architecture also provides a solid basis that allows code
     to be written once instead of multiple times, once for each syslog
     feature.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
  	"get draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
  	[email-masked].
In the body type:
  	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
  	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
  	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
  	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
  	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
  	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
  	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
  	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
  	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog