Subject: [Syslog] implementing -protocol and -transport-udp

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:46:10 +0100

Hi all,

it is nice to see us making progress. However, as we need to finish (and
start) a secure transport before we can submit -protocol and
-transport-udp, I have a question to the implementors here on the list.
-transport-udp is basically finished and -protocol just needs a brush up
(aka "hopefully soon finished"). I wonder if some folks would like to
implement these drafts, even before they are submitted (aka "soon" ;)).
I see several advantages in doing so:

- we get real-world experience about what is practical and
  what not - this enables us to create a better standard
- we can do interop-testing between different implementations,
  again clarifying how good the text is
- we prepare for rapid deployment once the draft has been
  submitted
- we (and our users) can enjoy the benefits of the standardized
  format earlier
- we have implementation reports at hand when the IESG asks about
  vendor and user acceptance

Remember that both drafts are essentially ready for publication - what
is missing is "just" a secure transport, which does not interfere with
what we currently have. Of course, implementations could lead to new
discussions and eventual changes to the draft. I think is is better to
have this now then when it is released. 

I already did a test implementation in rsyslog. It prooved to be quite
easy and quickly doable. If others agreee to implement it too, I would
go ahead and also see that we implement it in our commercial packages.

I hope that my proposal is a good one and that other implementors would
like to participate. Please reply on list if you think this would be a
good idea or not.

Many thanks,
Rainer

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:12:02 -0500

Hi,

Just a point. -transport-udp and -transport-tls should be independent
of each other, since one is based on udp and the other on tcp. I just
want to be sure that is understood. 

-transport-udp and transport-tls should have a comparable interface to
the rest of the syslog documents. Do we agree on that point?

David Harrington
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rainer Gerhards
> Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 2:46 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog] implementing -protocol and -transport-udp
> 
> Hi all,
>