Subject: RE: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:22:32 -0400

Tom,

Thanks for the good questions. Here are some responses, not as IPCDN
co-chair.

>I struggle to see anything relating to the management of a syslog
server here.

You are correct; this MIB module enables management of a syslog agent
and other components, within a voice over IP endpoint known as a
PacketCable Multimedia Terminal Adapter (MTA).

As a comparison, draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-11 is targeted for DOCSIS
cable modems, whereas draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07 is targeted for
MTAs. Cable modems and MTAs may or may not be co-located in the same
device, per section 3.3 of the draft.

>I wonder if all the references to RFC3164 should be revisited in the
light of Rainer's work on syslog-protocol, or is this an environment
which is accurately described by RFC3164?

The current DOCSIS and PacketCable syslog agent/server environments are
accurately described by RFC 3164.

>I did look at all five MIB I-Ds listed on the ipcdn webpage in case the
reference was to the wrong I-D (it wasn't) and did think they would all
benefit from a paragraph summarising the relationships between them.

Maybe a good compromise would be to add a paragraph in this draft to
state the relationship between draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2 and
draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Petch [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:26 AM
To: Jean-Francois Mule; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Sumanth Channabasappa; Woundy, Richard;
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt

Mmm... I struggle to see anything relating to the management of a syslog
server here.  Rather it allows the customisation of the port/address
type/address of the server in the syslog agent, which is rather
different.

I wonder if all the references to RFC3164 should be revisited in the
light of Rainer's work on syslog-protocol, or is this an environment
which is accurately described by RFC3164?

The normative references to documents I will probably never see make it
difficult to take this very far.

I did look at all five MIB I-Ds listed on the ipcdn webpage in case the
reference was to the wrong I-D (it wasn't) and did think they would all
benefit from a paragraph summarising the relationships between them.
The work of disman, for example, spans many MIB modules and RFC3877 (eg)
comments on the relationships; the work of rmonmib goes further and has
its own RFC [RFC3577]
spelling out the relationships.   (In draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-11,
I did
like the comment that ipv4 and SNMPv1 were the mandatory to implement
options; trusted and true technology).

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
To: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Sumanth Channabasappa"
<[email-masked]>; "Richard Woundy @ Comcast"
<[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:54 PM
Subject: RE: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt

Good redirection David. Please copy the ID co-authors and the syslog
list on any comments you have.

Jean-Francois.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David B Harrington [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:24 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt
>
> FYI.
> This document defines a MIB that, as part of its definition, manages 
> syslog servers. I am the MIB Doctor for this document and would be 
> interested in your comments.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07
> .txt
>
> David Harrington
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Syslog mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:14:59 +0200

> accurately described by RFC 3164.

Small, (but important?) glitch: RFC 3164 is informational, so you can't
use it as a normative reference. Other than that, I've not been able to
check much more. So I can't judge if that poses a problem.

Rainer