Subject: RE: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:39:27 -0400

>Small, (but important?) glitch: RFC 3164 is informational, so you can't
use it as a normative reference.

Thanks for pointing out this "interesting" problem for
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.
txt>.

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-11.tx
t> also uses RFC 3164 as a normative reference, but that draft is on the
RFC Editor's Queue as a Proposed Standard. It would be nice if we could
be consistent. :^)

I'll need to check with my Area Director advisor to see what he
suggests. Dan?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Gerhards [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 5:15 PM
To: Woundy, Richard; Tom Petch; Jean-Francois Mule; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Sumanth Channabasappa;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Syslog] draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-07.txt

> >I wonder if all the references to RFC3164 should be revisited in the
> light of Rainer's work on syslog-protocol, or is this an environment 
> which is accurately described by RFC3164?
> 
> The current DOCSIS and PacketCable syslog agent/server
> environments are
> accurately described by RFC 3164.

Small, (but important?) glitch: RFC 3164 is informational, so you can't
use it as a normative reference. Other than that, I've not been able to
check much more. So I can't judge if that poses a problem.

Rainer 

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog