Subject: [Syslog] Mib-09- review, part 2

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:25:29 +0100

Continued ...

1) syslEntCtlTable should describe what type of information is stored
in the table, and the description should be more than "static info".

2) syslEntCtlEnty - what type of parameters? What process?

3) syslEntCtlBindAddress - does this field contain an address or a
hostname? What does the seond sentence mean?

4) syslEntCtlTransport - why is this "default" transport instead of
just transport?

5) is there a mismatch between transportaddresstype and
syslEntCtlService? Is there a transportAddressType for this type of
"address"?

6) syslEntCtlConfFileName - using lots of abbreviations in the name
makes it hard for people to remember how the words were abbreviated.
It would be better to use something like syslogEntCtlFilename. Why do
we need Ent in the name? we never deal with anything other than
entities, do we? syslogControlFile would be much easier to remember
than syslEntCtlConfFileName.

7) syslEntCtlConfFileName refers to syslogCtlSelectionTable and
syslogCtlActionTable - where are these defined?

8) syslEntCtlStatus - again, what process?

9) syslEntCtlStorageType - is this definition exactly the same as the
StorageType T-C?

10) ...RowStatus - spelling "iff"

11) syslEntStarted and syslEntStopped - spell out MO. I don't
understand the second sentence; how does the manager know what
syslEntOpsIndex is used?

12) It would be much better to use consistent naming between the
objects/tables and the conformance clauses. The table refers to
syslEnt, but conformance is for syslogDev; the objects are
syslogDefault but the conformance is syslogSystem. Let'e make it easy
to work with by being more consistent.

13) why are notifications not mandatory for compliance?

14) The MIB module exposes some info from syslog, such as last error.
The security considerations talk about securing snmp, but that does
not make sense if you do not also secure the syslog transport. The
security considerations should recommend securing syslog to match the
snmp security.

15) iana considerations talks about a base arc; this would be better
reworded.

16) I thik rfc3164 is informative, no tnormative.

17) I suspect you are not usinng xml2rfc. If not, you need to make
sure all the boilerplates are up-to-date. Please check the funding
statement and the intellectual property clauses.

18) the change log is most effective if you track the chnages from
published version to published version, not by MIB revision dates. 

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog