Subject: [Syslog] "enc" param in syslog-protocol

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:25:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I've been reviewing the use of "enc" (for defining the encapsulation 
type).  This discussion has been going on for some time.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg00241.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg00252.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg00300.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg00313.html

I know that several people would like a way to send binary data within 
syslog messages and that's what this param was intended for.  However, 
without actually defining other encapsulation types, the parameter appears 
to be underspecified.  I don't want this to hold up our effort at this 
time.  I'm going to ask Rainer to remove references to "enc" from 
syslog-protocol.  Once this standard is out, others can discuss other 
encapsulation types and put together a document that fully describes it 
and how it can be used to ship binary information, or other encapsulation 
types.

Thanks,
Chris

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog