Subject: [Syslog] RFC 5424 on The Syslog Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5424

        Title:      The Syslog Protocol 
        Author:     R. Gerhards
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 85162
        Obsoletes:  RFC3164

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-23.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5424.txt

This document describes the syslog protocol, which is used to convey
event notification messages.  This protocol utilizes a layered
architecture, which allows the use of any number of transport
protocols for transmission of syslog messages.  It also provides a
message format that allows vendor-specific extensions to be provided
in a structured way.

This document has been written with the original design goals for
traditional syslog in mind.  The need for a new layered specification
has arisen because standardization efforts for reliable and secure
syslog extensions suffer from the lack of a Standards-Track and
transport-independent RFC.  Without this document, each other
standard needs to define its own syslog packet format and transport
mechanism, which over time will introduce subtle compatibility
issues.  This document tries to provide a foundation that syslog
extensions can build on.  This layered architecture approach also
provides a solid basis that allows code to be written once for each
syslog feature rather than once for each transport.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute