Subject: [Syslog] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5425 (1733)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5425,
"Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5425&eid=1733

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2.1, pg.6

Original Text
-------------
   o  End-entity certificate matching: The transport sender or receiver
      is configured with information necessary to identify the valid
      end-entity certificates of its authorized peers.  The end-entity
      certificates can be self-signed, and no certification path
      validation is needed.  Implementations MUST support certificate
|     fingerprints in Section 4.2.2 and MAY allow other formats for
      end-entity certificates such as a DER-encoded certificate.  This
      method provides an alternative to a PKI that is simple to deploy
      and still maintains a reasonable level of security.

Corrected Text
--------------
   o  End-entity certificate matching: The transport sender or receiver
      is configured with information necessary to identify the valid
      end-entity certificates of its authorized peers.  The end-entity
      certificates can be self-signed, and no certification path
      validation is needed.  Implementations MUST support certificate
|     fingerprints as specified in Section 4.2.2 and MAY allow other
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
      formats for end-entity certificates such as a DER-encoded
      certificate.  This method provides an alternative to a PKI that is
      simple to deploy and still maintains a reasonable level of
      security.

Notes
-----
Clarification; keep for update!

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5425 (draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog
Publication Date    : March 2009
Author(s)           : F. Miao, Ed., Y. Ma, Ed., J. Salowey, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Security Issues in Network Event Logging
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG