Subject: [Syslog] syslog WG meeting minutes (proposed)

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:50:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Here are the meeting minutes that I took.  Please send back edits if you 
want anything changed.

===
Meeting was started, blue sheets passed around, no one in jabber room 
other than the people in the room.

Chairs went through the slides.

Q about syslog/BEEP on slide 10: We're not proposing to standardize this; 
it's already RFC 3195.  Since the uptake on implementation (of this RFC, 
and of BEEP overall) is low, then the WG should consider moving the RFC to 
HISTORIC.

Jurgen S. gave a review of his thoughts on the proposed new charter items:
Slide 8,
  MIB, OK
  DHCP, has some operational value
  don't need an architectural reference to be done in the IETF
Slide 9
  might be interesting to have a guideline but not sure who would commit
the time to do that
  DTLS, should be done and aligned with RFC 5425 (syslog/tls)
  syslog/tcp, should be very straightforward and easy to do
  syslog/BEEP, declare HISTORIC

Dan R. - Since syslog WG is proposing to do syslog/DTLS is there enough 
commonality so that ISMS/DTLS and IPFIX/DTLS can re-use?
  - Consensus was that this was likely.  David also noted that the others
are also doing SCTP.

Pasi E. - syslog/DTLS should be easy since it will draw directly from 
syslog/TLS.
  - IPFIX also working on Dead Peer Detection (DTLS Heartbeet), we should
likely support this as well.
  - There were problems with the previous IPFIX/DTLS but that was because
of bad libraries in OpenSSL which have since been fixed.

Wes H. - there is not that much commonality between the schemes because of 
a lot of useage details.

Chris and David have asked Joe Saloway to act as WG editor for the DTLS 
work.

Meeting adjurned at 10am.

===

Thanks,
Chris