Subject: [Syslog] Proposed charter

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

David and I discussed and we would like to propose the following as a new 
charter.

The goal that is listed is for what we have commitment at this time.  We 
can add more goals but that will only happen if we have solid commitment 
for people who will write a document and for people who will review it.

If you really want something that's in the ppt (you can find that in the 
on-line agenda) to be included in this charter, then get your comments to 
the list.

We would appreciate any comments to this draft charter before the WG 
meeting on Tuesday.

==========================================================================
Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog)

Last Modified: <today>
Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/syslog

Chair(s):
  <TBD>

Security Area Director(s):
  Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
  Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
  Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: [email-masked]
  In Body: in body: (un)subscribe
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog

Description of Working Group:

   This working group has standardized the syslog protocol (RFC5424), plus
   a TLS secured transport (RFC5425), and a nonsecure UDP transport (RFC
   5426). The WG under this charter will standardize a DTLS transport for
   syslog, providing a secure transport for syslog messages in cases where
   a connection-less transport is desired.  The threats that this WG will
   primarily address are modification, disclosure, and masquerade.  A
   secondary threat is message stream modification.  These threats are
   consistent with those addressed in the creation of RFC 5425.

   The syslog Working Group has the following objective:

   A document will be produced that uses DTLS as a secure transport for the
   delivery of syslog messages.  The resulting document will be consistent
   with the threats addressed in Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport
   Mapping for Syslog (RFC 5425) so that the DTLS transport may be used
   with the same assurance of security.
   draft-feng-syslog-transport-dtls-01 is already similar to RFC5425 in
   this respect, so this draft will become the starting point for the WG
   document, which the WG will adjust as needed, and merge desired features
   from other sources, such as
   draft-petch-gerhards-syslog-transport-dtls-02.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2010 Submit Syslog DTLS Transport Mapping to the IESG for 
consideration as a PROPOSED STANDARD
==========================================================================

Thanks,
Chris & David

---

From: "Glenn M. Keeni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:30:01 +0900

Hi,
Chris Lonvick wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> 
> David and I discussed and we would like to propose the following as a 
> new charter.
> 
> on-line agenda) to be included in this charter, then get your comments 
> to the list.

I would strongly recommend that we do the SYSLOG-MIB work. It was
waiting on the finalization of the other Syslog protocol components.
Now that we have those in place we can wrap this one up. I will
volunteer the time and the effort to take this through. Unfortunately,
I will not be making it to the Tuesday meeting, but I hope to follow
the proceedings online.

> We would appreciate any comments to this draft charter before the WG 

Cheers

Glenn