Subject: [Syslog] revised draft WG meeting minutes

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 13:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Thanks to Gerhard and Linda for corrections and notes.  Please take a look 
at these minutes.

===
Meeting was started, blue sheets passed around, no one in jabber room 
other than the people in the room.

Chairs went through the slides.

Q about syslog/BEEP on slide 10: We're not proposing to standardize this; 
it's already RFC 3195.  Since the uptake on implementation (of this RFC, 
and of BEEP overall) is low, then the WG should consider moving the RFC to 
HISTORIC.

Jurgen S. gave a review of his thoughts on the proposed new charter items:
Slide 8,
  MIB, OK
  DHCP, has some operational value
  don't need an architectural reference to be done in the IETF
Slide 9
  might be interesting to have a guideline but not sure who would commit
the time to do that
  DTLS, should be done and aligned with RFC 5425 (syslog/tls)
  syslog/tcp, should be very straightforward and easy to do
  syslog/BEEP, declare HISTORIC

Dan R. - Since syslog WG is proposing to do syslog/DTLS is there enough 
commonality so that ISMS/DTLS and IPFIX/DTLS can re-use?
  - Consensus was that this was likely.  David also noted that the others
    are also doing SCTP.

Pasi E. - syslog/DTLS should be easy since it will draw directly from 
syslog/TLS
  - IPFIX is also interested in Dead Peer Detection (DTLS Heartbeet), we
    should likely support this as well.
  - There were problems with a previous interoperability test of IPFIX/DTLS
    but that was because OpenSSL didn't fully support dtls.  The current
    version does.

Wes H. - there is not that much commonality between the schemes because of 
a lot of useage details.

Chris and David have asked Joe Saloway to act as WG editor for the DTLS 
work.  We will need commitment from WG members to review and comment on 
this work.

Meeting adjurned at 10am.
===

Regards,
Chris