Subject: RE: [tcpm] draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-00.txt

From: "S K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:59:25 +0800

Hi,

I am a bit confused as to how Section 2.2 solution (C) in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-00.txt

will prevent the blind RST attack. If the attacker is within the
'snoopable' network of the victim, he can answer to the extra ACK
that is produced, just like in the case of the SYN flood.

Am I missing something (looks like I am :)) ?

_________________________________________________________________
Find gifts, buy online with MSN Shopping. http://shopping.msn.com.sg/

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: Mitesh Dalal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

> 'snoopable' network of the victim, he can answer to the extra ACK

this fix is not targetted for an attacker who is sitting on the
path between the peers, but a blind attacker outside of the path.
Its a given that if an attacker is located on a path between 2
tcp peers he can clearly cause more havoc than this.

thx
Mitesh