Subject: [tcpm] I-D ACTION:draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:04:58 -0300

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Adaptive User TimeOut (AUTO) Option
	Author(s)	: F. Gont
	Filename	: draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2004-5-19
	
The original TCP specification (RFC 793) defines a "USER TIMEOUT"
    parameter that sets the policy as to when a user connection should be
    aborted. However, TCP provides no means of letting users suggest an
    abort policy to a remote peer dynamically. Even though a fixed policy
    may work well in many cases, there are a number of scenarios where a
    fixed USER TIMEOUT value may be inappropriate, and some means of
    setting the abort policy dynamically may be necessary for TCP to be
    used effectively in such scenarios. This document defines a new TCP
    option, which lets a TCP peer suggest a USER TIMEOUT value to a
    remote TCP during the connection-establishment phase, and modify it
    during the life of a connection, thus adapting TCP's connection-abort
    policy as necessary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the 
message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt>

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm