Subject: Re: [tcpm] TCP Reassembly: Advertising TCP rcv window

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:37:44 -0300

At 11:19 26/03/2007, David Borman wrote:

>received.  The out-of-order data is considered part of the window.
>If the receiver continues to put in the same value for the window,
>the right edge of the window will not advance since the ACK is not
>advancing.  Fernando is wrong below, the out of order data is, and
>must be, within the receivers advertised window, or it would be
>dropped by the receiver.

I meant that the out-of-order data won't affect the advertised window.

As a result, if the TCP sender originally had credit to send, say, 
five segments of 1000 bytes, and sent them and only the last four 
segments arrived at the TCP receiver (i.e., the first segment was 
lost), then (unless the TCP receiver retracted the window), the TCP 
sender would still have credit to resend those five segments (the 
receive window at the TCP receiver wouldn't as each of the duplicate 
acks sent in response to the out-of-order segments would have the 
same Acknowledgment number and Window that originally allowed the TCP 
sender to send the five segments in the first place).

My apologizes if my explanation added more confusion than anything else.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm