Subject: [tcpm] Protocol Action: 'Reducing the TIME-WAIT state using TCP timestamps' to BCP (draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:10:22 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Reducing the TIME-WAIT state using TCP timestamps'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-04.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-timestamps/

Technical Summary

  This document describes an algorithm for processing incoming SYN
  segments that allows higher connection-establishment rates between
  any two TCP endpoints when a TCP timestamps option is present in the
  incoming SYN segment.  This document only modifies processing of SYN
  segments received for connections in the TIME-WAIT state; processing
  in all other states is unchanged.

Working Group Summary

  Nothing exceptional occurred during the working group process for this
  document.

Document Quality

  Implementations of the technique described in this document have been
  implemented for some time.  The document specifically cites the Linux
  kernel's TCP implementation, though there are others as well.  One
  reason for completing this document is to bring this practice to the
  RFC series so that it can be captured for other implementations.

Personnel

  Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
  Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) has reviewed the document
  for the IESG.