Subject: [tcpm] RFC 6298 on Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6298

        Title:      Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer 
        Author:     V. Paxson, M. Allman,
                    J. Chu, M. Sargent
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22454
        Obsoletes:  RFC2988
        Updates:    RFC1122

        I-D Tag:    draft-paxson-tcpm-rfc2988bis-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6298.txt

This document defines the standard algorithm that Transmission Control
Protocol (TCP) senders are required to use to compute and manage their
retransmission timer.  It expands on the discussion in Section 4.2.3.1
of RFC 1122 and upgrades the requirement of supporting the algorithm
from a SHOULD to a MUST.  This document obsoletes RFC 2988.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC