Subject: [tcpm] Traffic Burstiness Survey

From: Monia Ghobadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:50:12 -0400

Dear TCPM members,

I am a PhD student at University of Toronto and I am working on traffic
burstiness in data centers. In the following I am asking two questions to
raise motivation for my research. I appreciate if anyone could answer these
questions to their best knowledge. *The questions are:*

1) ‘Bursty’ is a word with no agreed meaning. How do you define a bursty
traffic?
2) If you are involved with a data center, is your data center traffic
bursty?
   -- If yes,
         -- Do you think that it will be useful to supress the burstiness
in your traffic? (For example by pacing the traffic into shorter bursts)
    -- If no:
        -- Are you already supressing the burstiness? How?
         -- Would you anticipate the traffic becoming burstier in the
future?

Thanks,
Monia

------------------
Monia Ghobadi
PhD Student
University of Toronto
http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~monia/