Subject: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt

From: Nandita Dukkipati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:57:58 -0800

Here is the -01 version of the Tail loss probe draft. Following is the main
delta since -00 version:

1) Updated the Experiment section with our latest findings with the TLP
loss detection algorithm.
2) A section on FACK based threshold recovery, which is critical for TLP to
work.
3) Several minor edits, including many points brought up tcpm members:
    ** Clarified on why PTO is 2.RTT (and not RTT, 3.RTT...).
    ** TCP Loss Probe -> Tail Loss Probe.
    ** Clarified why we used 1 probe (versus multiple probes) per tail loss
episode.
    ** Referenced "rescue retransmission" introduced in RFC6675 and a
discussion on why that doesn't solve the tail loss problem.
    ** Why we decided against 1-byte retransmission.
    ** Relation to RTO-restart.

Happy reading!
Nandita

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Nandita Dukkipati and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe
Revision:        01
Title:           Tail Loss Probe (TLP): An Algorithm for Fast Recovery of
Tail Losses
Creation date:   2013-02-25
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 20
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01

Abstract:
   Retransmission timeouts are detrimental to application latency,
   especially for short transfers such as Web transactions where
   timeouts can often take longer than all of the rest of a transaction.
   The primary cause of retransmission timeouts are lost segments at the
   tail of transactions.  This document describes an experimental
   algorithm for TCP to quickly recover lost segments at the end of
   transactions or when an entire window of data or acknowledgments are
   lost.  Tail Loss Probe (TLP) is a sender-only algorithm that allows
   the transport to recover tail losses through fast recovery as opposed
   to lengthy retransmission timeouts.  If a connection is not receiving
   any acknowledgments for a certain period of time, TLP transmits the
   last unacknowledged segment (loss probe).  In the event of a tail
   loss in the original transmissions, the acknowledgment from the loss
   probe triggers SACK/FACK based fast recovery.  TLP effectively avoids
   long timeouts and thereby improves TCP performance.

The IETF Secretariat