Subject: [tcpm] New I-D "On the Validation of TCP Sequence Numbers" (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:45:04 -0300

Folks,

We have just published a new IETF I-D entitled "On the Validation of TCP
Sequence Numbers". The I-D is available at:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00.txt>.

The abstract of the I-D is:

---- cut here ----
   When TCP receives packets that lie outside of the receive window, the
   corresponding packets are dropped and either an ACK, RST or no
   response is generated due to the out-of-window packet, with no
   further processing of the packet.  Most of the time, this works just
   fine and TCP remains stable, especially when a TCP connection has
   unidirectional data flow.  However, there are three scenarios in
   which packets that are outside of the receive window should still
   have their ACK field processed, or else a packet war will take place.
   The aforementioned issues have affected a number of popular TCP
   implementations, typically leading to connection failures, system
   crashes, or other undesirable behaviors.  This document describes the
   three scenarios in which the aforementioned issues might arise, and
   formally updates RFC 793 such that these potential problems are
   mitigated.
---- cut here ----

It discusses a problem that has affected a number of popular TCP
implementations, and aims to formally update RFC 793 to mitigate these
issues.

Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00.txt
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:02:18 -0800

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation
Revision:	 00
Title:		 On the Validation of TCP Sequence Numbers
Creation date:	 2013-02-16
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 15
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-00

Abstract:
   When TCP receives packets that lie outside of the receive window, the
   corresponding packets are dropped and either an ACK, RST or no
   response is generated due to the out-of-window packet, with no
   further processing of the packet.  Most of the time, this works just
   fine and TCP remains stable, especially when a TCP connection has
   unidirectional data flow.  However, there are three scenarios in
   which packets that are outside of the receive window should still
   have their ACK field processed, or else a packet war will take place.
   The aforementioned issues have affected a number of popular TCP
   implementations, typically leading to connection failures, system
   crashes, or other undesirable behaviors.  This document describes the
   three scenarios in which the aforementioned issues might arise, and
   formally updates RFC 793 such that these potential problems are
   mitigated.

The IETF Secretariat