Subject: [tcpm] RFC 6928 on Increasing TCP's Initial Window

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:50:59 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6928

        Title:      Increasing TCP's Initial Window 
        Author:     J. Chu, N. Dukkipati,
                    Y. Cheng, M. Mathis
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 56523
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6928.txt

This document proposes an experiment to increase the permitted TCP
initial window (IW) from between 2 and 4 segments, as specified in
RFC 3390, to 10 segments with a fallback to the existing
recommendation when performance issues are detected.  It discusses the
motivation behind the increase, the advantages and disadvantages of
the higher initial window, and presents results from several large-scale
experiments showing that the higher initial window improves the
overall performance of many web services without resulting in a
congestion collapse.  The document closes with a discussion of usage
and deployment for further experimental purposes recommended by the
IETF TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (TCPM) working group.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC