Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:45:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updating TCP to support Rate-Limited Traffic
	Author(s)       : Godred Fairhurst
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Raffaello Secchi
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2013-06-19

Abstract:
   This document proposes an update to RFC 5681 to address issues that
   arise when TCP is used to support traffic that exhibits periods where
   the sending rate is limited by the application rather than the
   congestion window.  It updates TCP to allow a TCP sender to restart
   quickly following either an idle or rate-limited interval.  This
   method is expected to benefit applications that send rate-limited
   traffic using TCP, while also providing an appropriate response if
   congestion is experienced.

   It also evaluates the Experimental specification of TCP Congestion
   Window Validation, CWV, defined in RFC 2861, and concludes that RFC
   2861 sought to address important issues, but failed to deliver a
   widely used solution.  This document therefore recommends that the
   status of RFC 2861 is moved from Experimental to Historic, and that
   it is replaced by the current specification.

   NOTE: The standards status of this WG document is under review for
   consideration as either Experimental (EXP) or Proposed Standard (PS).
   This decision will be made later as the document is finalised.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/