Subject: [tcpm] Protocol Action: 'Shared Use of Experimental TCP Options' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tcpm-experimental-options-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:18:22 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Shared Use of Experimental TCP Options'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-experimental-options-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-experimental-options/

Technical Summary

    This document describes how TCP option codepoints can support
    concurrent experiments using a magic number field. It extends
    the option structure for experimental codepoints (253, 254) with
    a magic number, which is used to differentiate different experiments.
    This mechanism avoids the need for a coordinated registry, and is
    backward-compatible with currently known uses. It is recommended for
    all new experimental RFCs that require TCP option codepoints.

Working Group Summary

  The document was accepted by the TCPM working group with support
  from a significant number of participants. It was discussed in
  several meetings and on the mailing list. Given that the mechanism
  proposed by the document is technically simple, the TCPM discussion
  mainly focused on process questions and a clear description of
  the normative parts of the document. There was only one clarification
  question during the working group last call. In summary, it
  is strong consensus in the TCPM working group that the document
  describes the best solution to deal with shared use of experimental
  TCP option codepoints.

Document Quality

  Several implementations of experimental protocols have already
  documented the use of the magic numbers as specified in this document.
  The document is a short and technically straightforward and does not
  require extensive technical review.

Personnel

  The document sheperd is Michael Scharf <[email-masked]>.
  The responsible Area Director is Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>.