Subject: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:44:11 -0400

We have updated the draft based on feedback on the list and in London. 
In particular, we have attempted to provide a clearer explanation of the 
use cases we are attempting to address and why solutions at other layers 
in the protocol stack do not work for these use cases. Previous updates 
had already attempted to provide stronger limiting guidance for option 
usage.

As we have indicated previously on the list, we would prefer to see WG 
adoption of this I.D. rather than working toward publishing as an 
individual submission. We think WG adoption has a few benefits, even in 
the absence of clear consensus on the question of whether this is a good 
idea. First and foremost, WG adoption would mean that the limiting 
guidance on usage carries more weight. And second, WG adoption would 
more strongly encourage individual implementations that are already in 
use to converge on a single option format.

We look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
--Brandon

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for 
draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:22:20 -0400
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Williams, Brandon <[email-masked]>, Dan Wing 
<[email-masked]>, Mohamed Boucadair <[email-masked]>, 
Mohamed Boucadair <[email-masked]>, Dan Wing 
<[email-masked]>, Williams, Brandon <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Brandon Williams and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt
Revision:	03
Title:		Experimental Option for TCP Host Identification
Document date:	2014-04-29
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt/
Htmlized: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03
Diff: 
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03

Abstract:
    Recent IETF proposals have identified benefits to more distinctly
    identifying the hosts that are hidden behind a shared address/prefix
    sharing device or application-layer proxy.  Analysis indicates that
    the use of a TCP option for this purpose can be successfully applied
    to a broad range of use cases.  This document describes a common
    experimental TCP option format for host identification.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Brandon Williams; Senior Principal Software Engineer
Emerging Products Engineering; Akamai Technologies Inc.

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:51:45 +0000

For the record, I am opposed to the WG taking this document on, and I am opposed to it being published as an RFC on any stream.

Lars

---

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:18:00 -0400

On 4/30/2014 10:51 AM, Eggert, Lars wrote:
> For the record, I am opposed to the WG taking this document on, and I
> am opposed to it being published as an RFC on any stream.
> 

My opinion is similar.

An RFC isn't necessary to use an ExID.  It doesn't require IETF
approval, and is unlikely to get IETF approval, in order to do
this in a system, if you really want to discount the problems
and do it anyways.

-- 
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems