Subject: [tcpm] Protocol Action: 'TCP Extensions for High Performance' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tcpm-1323bis-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 06:36:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TCP Extensions for High Performance'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-1323bis-21.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-1323bis/

Technical Summary

	This document replaces RFC 1323, making minor fixes and
	clarifications to the original document. The document
	specifies three performance enhancing extensions to TCP, using
	two TCP options. The first is window scale option, that allows
	representation of receive window sizes larger than 2^16 bytes
	originally allowed by the 16-bit window field. The second
	option is TCP timestamps option that allows round-trip time
	measurement on each TCP segment, and third is an algorithm to
	detect and reject old duplicate segments that happen to match
	the current TCP window (Protect Against Wrapped Sequence
	numbers).

Working Group Summary

	This document has been a chartered TCPM working group item
	since year 2008. It has not been under significant
	controversy, but the progress has been slow because of earlier
	lack of WG (and authoring) cycles. Since adding a new
	co-editor, the progress on the draft became faster in the
	working group.

Document Quality

	The predecessor of this document, RFC 1323, was published in
	1992, and is deployed in most TCP implementations. This
	document includes fixes and clarifications based on the gained
	deployment experience. The recent versions of the document
	have been reviewed and discussed by multiple working group
	participants.

Personnel

	Document Shepherd is Pasi Sarolahti.
	Reponsible Area Director is Martin Stiemerling.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:42:05 +0100

And here's a first cut at that TCP Extensions draft, in 1993:
http://www.isocws.isoc.org/inet98/doc/rstevens/tcplw-extensions.txt

getting this published in only slightly over twenty years is quite
an achievement, given that the transport area is very underresourced
compared to other areas, and short on expertise and manpower.

(I have a few promising drafts coming along nicely at the six-year mark.
Still time to mature.)

Congrats! Go team!

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood

On 14 Apr 2014, at 23:36, The IESG wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:31:44 +0000

And thank you Lloyd for all the work you put into getting this done.

Lars

---

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:02:06 -0400

> compared to other areas, and short on expertise and manpower.

I responded in unicast, but also thought I should say something on
the list to make sure the situation is clear ...

The current chairs, ADs, and driving editor (Richard) had *nothing
to do* with it taking 20 years.

In fact, they got it done in about 2 years.  That's pretty good for
fundamental TCP work, and in fact, there was not a lot of pressure
from the people of the world to get it done any sooner than that.

Past efforts had run out of steam due to multiple circumstances, and
you're free to blame past co-chairs like myself for that, but the
current set of folks deserve nothing but sincere thanks.

But I feel your pain, as a co-author with you on some of those 6+
year drafts that you mentioned :) ... this WG doesn't have any
culpability for those though.

-- 
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems