Subject: [tcpm] option space on a SYN draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 05:49:42 +0100

TCPM,

I've updated the new draft I posted yesterday.

Main changes from briscoe...-00 to briscoe...-01:

       Technical changes:

       *  Deterministic Protocol Spec: Replaced SYN/ACK-L with RST (Joe
          Touch)

       *  Added 2 more Alternative Protocol Specs in Appendices

       *  Added Comparison of Alternatives as an Appendix

       *  Security Considerations: Added note about crypto coverage of
          TCP options in the payload being different from that of other
          TCP options.

       *  Added an appendix to record outstanding Protocol Design Issues,
          and included segmentation boundary issue (Yuchung Cheng).

       Editorial changes:

       *  Protocol Spec: Explained why the extra TCP options are placed
          at the end of the payload

       *  Throughout: avoided the ambiguity in the word payload, now that
          there are TCP options at the end of the payload.  Some might
          consider these to be within the payload, while others might
          consider them to be placed beyond the payload.

BOb

>From: <[email-masked]>
>To: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>, "Bob J. Briscoe" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: New Version Notification for draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01.txt
>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:37:01 -0700
>
>
>A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Name:           draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis
>Revision:       01
>Title:          Extended TCP Option Space in the Payload of an Alternative SYN
>Document date:  2014-07-22
>Group:          Individual Submission
>Pages:          15
>URL: 
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01.txt
>Status: 
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis/
>Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01
>Diff: 
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-01
>
>Abstract:
>    This document describes an experimental method to extend the option
>    space for connection parameters within the initial TCP SYN segment at
>    the start of a TCP connection.  In this method the TCP client sends
>    two alternative SYNs: one intended for legacy servers and one
>    intended for upgraded servers.  Once it establishes which type of
>    server has responded, it continues the connection appropriate to that
>    server type and aborts the other.  The SYN intended for upgraded
>    servers includes additional options at the end of the payload.
>
> 
>
>
>
>Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
>until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
>The IETF Secretariat

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT