Subject: [Tools-discuss] nits version mismatch

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:02:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

In a discussion of draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode-04.txt for secdir, I 
reported that that the nit checker showed 7 nits.  Adrian Farrell said:

>Hmmm. I wonder which nit checker you used.
>http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/ only reports one warning to me as a
>referenced I-D has subsequently been published as an RFC.

to which I replied:

   I looked at the page:
   http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/l1vpn/draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode/
   which reports:

    2008-02-21 16:40 draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode-04.txt
   [txt/plain]  [txt/pdf]  [nits]  [diff -from-03, wdiff, txt]
     (7 errors (**), 0 warnings (==), 0 comments (--).)

   Clicking on the nits link gets you to:
...

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 3471

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 3473

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 3477

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 4202

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 4204

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 4206

     ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 4208

        Summary: 7 errors (**), 0 warnings (==), 0 comments (--).

And Adrian noted:

Interesting.
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/ is at revision 2.08.08

The page you used is at revision 2.08.04

>  ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 3471

Bug in the tool :-(
The RFC clearly states...
Category: Standards Track

And I volunteered to alert the Tools Team.

Hopefully, this is the right address to use for such alerts.

--Sandy
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 02:45:19 +0200

Hi Sandy,

Inline:

>      (7 errors (**), 0 warnings (==), 0 comments (--).)

Hmm.  Right.  When I set up the script which creates that page, the
things that idnits checked were more limited, and in particular
the check result weren't dependent on referenced IDs later being
published.  I need to change the page to provide a link to a real-time
run of idnits.

...

>>  ** Downref: Normative reference to an Unknown state RFC: RFC 3471

Hm.  When was this run?  There was a glitch where the RFC state information
was unavailable for about a day some time ago -- this might be from that time.
Otherwise I need more information to debug it.  FWIW idnits does not show
that warning now:

If you go to the html version of the draft, at
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode-04
there is a link at the top right which leads to an on-the-fly run of idnits,
which a moment ago returned:

...
  == Outdated reference: draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching has been published as
     RFC 5150

     Summary: 0 errors (**), 1 warning (==), 0 comments (--).
...

> Hopefully, this is the right address to use for such alerts.

It is :-)

Thanks.  I'll change the static information on pages like the one you
originally used so that it will lead to an on-the-fly check, which should
be as good as is possible given the changing state of published documents.

	Henrik