Subject: [Tools-discuss] Disconcerting behavior by rfcdiff

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:04:07 +1200

I just ran rfcdiff (the web service version) on
draft-miyata-v6ops-trans-approach-00.txt and
draft-miyata-v6ops-trans-approach-01.txt

It apparently sees the second draft as an empty document. The reason
is that the draft starts thus:

Internet Engineering Task Force                                H. Miyata
Internet-Draft                                   Yokogawa Electric Corp.
Intended status: Informational                              May 14, 2007
Expires: October 24, 2008

It should be May 14, 2008 - when I patch that error, rfcdiff
works perfectly.

(Incidentally, idnits doesn't detect the 18 months expiry error, and the
ID submission process didn't either, but that's an issue for another list.)

    Brian
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:57:55 +0200

Hi Brian,

> It should be May 14, 2008 - when I patch that error, rfcdiff

Yow!  Will look at this at once.

> ID submission process didn't either, but that's an issue for another list.)

Idnits doesn't parse and verify the dates and expiration time, currently.

Adding that to the possible features list.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:21:58 +0200

Follow-up:

> Yow!  Will look at this at once.

Heh.  The real reason for the empty document seems to be that the draft is
in Mac format -- \r line endings.  Your editor probably was just kind enough
to fix that when you did the date edit, so the modified file used either \n
or \r\n, which rfcdiff handles fine.

Fixed in rfcdiff v1.35, which is online now.

	Henrik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:45:48 +1200

> or \r\n, which rfcdiff handles fine.

Finally an advantage in using Windows! (The corresponding disadvantage is
that it's annoyingly difficult to find out what line endings a file
actually uses, without firing up cygwin.)

> Fixed in rfcdiff v1.35, which is online now.

Thanks. It's surprising this has never showed up before.

    Brian