Subject: [Tools-discuss] Tools release feed

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:07:21 +0200

Hi,

In order to make it easier to follow tool releases for people who may wish
to do so, I've put together a feed which pulls information from the changelog
file and a meta-information file for each tool hosted on tools.ietf.org.

General Info:
  The feed is available at

    http://tools.ietf.org/tools/atomfeed.xml

  and there is an autodiscovery link in the tools overview page at

    http://tools.ietf.org/tools/

  The intention is to provide feed entries not only for tools hosted on
  tools.ietf.org, but also for other tools which are listed on the tools
  overview page.

For Tool Authors:

  In order to make it easy to automatically add release information to the
  feed, the tool which puts together the feed reads meta-information from
  an augmented debian-style control[1] file, and release information from a
  debian-style changelog[2] file.  If you can arrange for your tool releases
  to contain a control file and changelog in the appropriate format, and
  be available online, the online repository will be regularly polled, and
  the tool overview page and the feed automatically updated.

  The additional control file entries required are:
	Url: <An url to a human-readable web-page describing the tool>
	Repository: <An url to a directory or tarball containing the latest
			release, including changelog and control files>
	Category: <A category which determines where on the tools overview
			page a tool will be listed>
	
  The control file fields which are currently used are:
	Package:
	Description:
	Maintainer:
	Url:
	Repository:
	Category:

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best,

	Henrik

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog