Subject: [Tools-discuss] bug report: autogenerated section links

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:45:43 -0600

It seems that the I-D HTML output autogenerates internal links to things
like "Section *.*" even if the text is referring to an external
document. See for example:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-01#section-12.1

Best,

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:05:08 +0200

Hi Peter,

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-01#section-12.1

Yes.  This is because these HTML versions are generated straight from
the text documents, not from for instance XML source, and the generation
is basically regex-based; i.e., the text document is *not* parsed into
a datastructure where for instance references could be resolved to
documents and appropriate external html links could be generated.  I'm
not saying that it wouldn't be great to have a parser, rather than
just a regex-based conversion, but that requires more work than I've had
time for.

I can suppress link generation for the special case of 'Section X.Y of [ref]'
(and similar), but generating sensible links for this case and the 
'Section 2.6 therein' case seems out of reach at the moment.

Regards,

	Henrik