Subject: [Tools-discuss] WG mail archive search

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:43:00 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

The mail archive search at tools.ietf.org WG pages has some 
shortcomings, I wonder if these are known issues? It's only searching 
maillist.html, and as a consequence:

  - it's always returning at most one hit (the big HTML file), and you 
have to find the offending message yourself,
  - it's not searching mail bodies just the headers in maillist.html, 
and
  - in mailing lists with more activity, earliest records have been 
moved to the next pages.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:54:19 -0600

+1!

There's a wishlist at <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETF77Sprint 
 > for this or the next codesprint.

Please go add things like this to it.

If anybody else has something they want the tools to do, get it on  
that list.

If you are willing to make some of them happen, please sign up for the  
sprint:
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/IETF77SprintSignUp>

RjS

On Feb 12, 2010, at 6:43 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

> shortcomings, I wonder if these are known issues? It's only  
> searching maillist.html, and as a consequence:
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:51:41 +0100

Hi Pekka,

> maillist.html, and as a consequence:

Oops.  That's not the way it should be.

When I originally added this, the mailing list archive URLs specified in
the charters were generally of the form

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/

while now I find that they just as often can be of the form

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

or even

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/btns/current/maillist.html

To fix this, I'm now removing any trailing '*.html' component, and
if there is a '/current/' part I remove that, too.  This should fix
the issue in most cases.

Best,

	Henrik