Subject: [Tools-discuss] flaky wiki?

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:10:30 -0700

The Trac wiki seems flaky -- I make edits but they don't appear, etc.
Perhaps this is a browser caching issue (because Trac uses HTTP GET) but
I don't recall seeing this behavior before.

Just wondering. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 02:00:22 +0100

Hi Peter,

> I don't recall seeing this behavior before.

URL please?  This doesn't sound like something I recognize, but with
134 instances of Trac running on the tools servers, it makes it easier
to search the logs and do some testing if you can indicate where you
had problems...

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:44:34 -0700

> to search the logs and do some testing if you can indicate where you

This was reported to me by Jean-Marc Valin, who had problems here:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/wiki/CodecMatrix

He said that he would edit the page and then the text that he added did
not show up in the editing interface after he saved his changes. I ran
into a similar problem on the same wiki, but for me the changes didn't
show up on the rendered page. If I force-reloaded the page, it was fine.
Quite possibly a caching issue in a particular browser (I'm using FF
3.5.7 on OS X 10.5.8, not sure about Jean-Marc). I'd be happy to test
further.

I'm sure that tools-discuss is not the best place to report such issues,
perhaps [email-masked] is better?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:53:20 +0100

Hi Peter,

> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/wiki/CodecMatrix

Thanks.

> not show up in the editing interface after he saved his changes. 

The server logs show 5 POST operations for this URL; 3 of those have an
HTTP 303 code (redirecting to the url without the '?action=edit' arguments)
and correspond timewise exactly to the 3 versions listed in the edit log
of the page:
  http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/trac/wiki/CodecMatrix?action=history

The remaining 2 (just before the 3rd change) presumably are previews.

Not seeing any other POST actions, I guess that some network problem may
have caused the original failed post to not reach the server.  I'm still
a bit puzzled though, as I don't see any accesses from what I assume is
Jean-Marc's IP address until just before the 3rd edit.  But maybe he
did the first attempt from a different address...

> I ran

I'm using 3.5.8 on OS-X 10.6.2, was using 3.5.7 till just a few days ago,
but haven't seen this.  It would be good if you would keep your eyes open
and let me know the circumstances around any further misbehaviour, though.

> perhaps [email-masked] is better?

<[email-masked]> is good, but this list is also just fine for me.
The advantage of <[email-masked]> is that email to that address
lands directly in my inbox and gets immediate attention, while the response
latency for list mail will be a bit longer.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:32:41 -0700

> and let me know the circumstances around any further misbehaviour, though.

Will do. Thanks for following up.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/