Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml2rfc error: can't read "stack": no such variable

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 02:11:22 -0700

I'm stumped by this error:

can't read "stack": no such variable around input line 191

The input file is attached.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.    --Dorothea

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:46:53 +0200

> I'd be very grateful for any help.

Standard advice: don't run anything through xml2rfc until it's proper 
XML. :-)

In this case, xmlint reports:

         An XML element is not allowed inside a DTD.
         URL: 
file:///C:/projects/xml2rfc/draft-ietf-yam-4409bis-submit-pre-evaluation-00.xml
         Line 00036: <rfc category="info" 
docName="draft-ietf-yam-4409bis-submit-pre-evaluation-00"
         Pos  00001: ^

...which is because the doctype declaration wasn't closed:

<!DOCTYPE rfc SYSTEM "rfc2629.dtd" [
<!-- One method to get references from the online citation libraries.
      There has to be one entity for each item to be referenced.
      An alternate method (rfc include) is described in the references. -->

<!ENTITY RFC0821 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.0821.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC2821 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.2821.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC5321 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5321.xml">

So there's a

   ]>

missing after these lines.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:25:50 -0700

Hi Julian,

[message copied to AMS]

At 05:46 09-07-10, Julian Reschke wrote:
>Standard advice: don't run anything through xml2rfc until it's proper XML. :-)

[snip]

>missing after these lines.

The mistake was from the template sent to Randy.  Tony Hansen 
identified the problem.

Can Section 7.1 of xml2rfc be updated as the link to a xml2rfc 
validator is incorrect?

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:09:07 -0400

When you say "section 7.1 of xml2rfc", please be more specific. Are you 
referring to the page at xml.resource.org, to the code for xml2rfc, or 
to something totally different?

     Tony Hansen

On 7/9/2010 1:25 PM, SM wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:36:25 -0700

Hi Tony,
At 11:09 09-07-10, Tony Hansen wrote:
>When you say "section 7.1 of xml2rfc", please be more specific. Are 
>you referring to the page at xml.resource.org, to the code for 
>xml2rfc, or to something totally different?

I forgot to mention FAQ as I typed the message.  See 
http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#q_valid

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:42:33 -0400

SM,
Next time I revise the xml2rfc FAQ, I'll update the URL.

OLD:
http://www.fenron.com/~fenner/ietf/xml2rfc-valid/

NEW:
http://www.fenron.net/~fenner/ietf/xml2rfc-valid/

Thank you.
Alice

On Jul 9, 2010, at 3:36 PM, SM wrote:

>> When you say "section 7.1 of xml2rfc", please be more specific. Are you referring to the page at xml.resource.org, to the code for xml2rfc, or to something totally different?
> 
> I forgot to mention FAQ as I typed the message.  See http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#q_valid
> 
> Regards,
> -sm