Subject: [Tools-discuss] Rfcmarkup-1.115 feedback

From: Joe Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 00:08:03 -0700

Bug found while following a link from Wikipedia.

1. Go to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1123#section-4.2.3.1
2. View Source.
3. Search for "section-4.2.3.1".
4. Notice only one occurrence (in TOC): '<a href="#section-4.2.3.1
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1123#section-4.2.3.1>">4.2.3.1</a>'.
5. Search for "4.2.3.1".
6. Third occurrence is "4.2.3.1 Sorcerer's Apprentice Syndrome", but there
is no <a name="section-4.2.3.1" id="section-4.2.3.1"> for it.

In the Table of Contents, links to pages work, but links to sections don't.

I'm OK with having only links to page numbers in the TOC, but rfcmarkup
should not be be generating an internal href that does not have a
corresponding name/id.

    -Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:29:31 +0200

Hi Joe,

> should not be be generating an internal href that does not have a

Yes, the automatic htmlization script fails for this RFC.  The formatting
it uses diverges substantially from current RFCs with respect to indentation
of sub-sections, and I have a feeling I've tried to accommodate this style
before, but have found that it breaks conversion of other RFCs, inserting
section anchors in places they don't belong.  If I can find the time, I'll
try to improve things, though.

Thanks for the report!

Best regards,

	Henrik