Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml v3 PDF upload

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:56:46 -0400

Hi, the CELLAR WG is trying to provide a PDF file along with our v3 XML to
the datatracker.  The files are temporarily at:
    http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/cellar/

When I try to do this, I get:

     There was a failure converting the xml file to text -- please verify
     that your xml file is valid. (Error from xml2rfc (text): 'NoneType'
     object has no attribute 'getroot')

There are warnings from the XML2RFC:
      Warning: Expected a numeric year, but found 'undated'

If I omit the XML, then of course, I get:
     Unexpected submission file types; found .pdf, but txt or xml is required

because I need to upload something with the PDF.

So I upload .txt file that I generated, and that worked.

Summary: xml-v3 + PDF fails.
         txt + PDF works.
         PDF alone fails (expected)

(Except that we needed to do -10 rather than -09, so meta-data error)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 23:04:42 +0200

Hi Michael,

>     http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/cellar/

I can see a list of the files in that location, but trying to download
the .xml file results in Error 403: Forbidden

>      object has no attribute 'getroot')

I've found this issue myself today.  It should be giving you the error
returned from xml2rfc, rather than the above follow-on problem caused
by a failure to run the rendering.  But the root cause is that the XML
you provided has a problem.

>       Warning: Expected a numeric year, but found 'undated'

Ok, then that's what you need to fix.  If you can provide the XML, I should
be able to provide suggestions.

> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
> 
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
> 
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 17:44:21 -0400

> the .xml file results in Error 403: Forbidden

Sorry, fixed.

    > you provided has a problem.

okay.

    > be able to provide suggestions.

I think we just need to put years into the errant references, and we are
doing that.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:53:41 -0500

Hi Michael -

One quick question.

Are you hoping to upload a PDF that's _different_ from the PDF that 
xml2rfc generates?

Or is it that output you're wanting to upload because the datatracker's 
not building it for you at the moment?

RjS

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:31:42 -0400

> Are you hoping to upload a PDF that's _different_ from the PDF that xml2rfc
    > generates?

    > Or is it that output you're wanting to upload because the datatracker's not
    > building it for you at the moment?

The second.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [