Subject: [Tools-discuss] Meetecho issues during the emailcore meeting

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 06:42:26 -0800 (PST)

As suggested by Pete Resnick, I am forwarding the message I sent to the
emailcore list last night to the tools-discuss list. Please note that I am not
a member of this list, and have no interest in joining.

				Ned

Subject: Re: [Emailcore] Obnoxious, 11th hour, appeal of the decision to hold an emailcore meeting
From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], ART ADs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 00:38:56 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: EMAILCORE proposed working group list <emailcore.ietf.org>

And noe for a 13th hour comment.

These days I spend a significant fraction of my time engaged in online
meetings, mostly using Zoom, occasionally some more specialized thing. The
number of times I have any sort of issue joining meetings and participting is
incredibly tiny.

It doesn't matter what brower, app, or device I choose to use. It just works.
It works when I use my laptop, tablet, or my phone. It works when I use the
builtin mic, a headset, or a speakerphone. it works when I dial in.

It works when I use a builtin camera or an external one. Or switch between the
two.

It works when I join more than one meeting. It works when I join a meeting
outside its scheduled time slot. And no doubt it's tolerating numerous other
sins I'm unaware I'm commiting.

To the extent there are problems, it's invariably either a network issue or a
PIBKAC. I can count the number of serious software bugs I've encountered in the
time of Covid-19 on the fingers of no hands.

And then we come to the IETF. And Meetecho. I'm going to skip the obligatory,
"How much hard work has gone into it and how wonderful all the support has
been, etc." lines because I'm frankly not in the mood.

Today's emailcore meeting was par for the course. Odd popup window on logging
in - not clear what that was about. Some warning about audio issues that
vanished before I could even read it. And then no ability to speak myself - and
no indication of why. Reseting the audio - an option no other app seems to need
- provided no satisfaction, unless pressing buttons that do nothing counts as
satisfying.

I was resigned to using chat to communicate until we reached a point in the
meeting where nothing but high bandwidth would really do. In desperation I
decided to try a different browser. I disonnected - I know better than to join
the same meeting twice using different tools - and tried to reconnect. Except
the meeting had run over time, and I wasn't allowed in. 

Folks, I'm not kidding when I say that the local folk music center consistently
does a better job, and a less technically savvy group  is hard for me to
imagine.

The IETF needs to get its shit together. It's embarassing.

				Ned

-- 
Emailcore mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emailcore