Subject: [Tools-discuss] meetecho web interface request: see who is sending audio while viewing chat

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 02:13:48 -0500

in meetecho's web interface, i notice that when i'm viewing the chat, i
am not also viewing the participant list.

But, if someone is sending audio only (without video), the only place i
can see the identity of the speaker is in the participant list (looking
for an active microphone, coupled with the pulsing green circle).

I can view the chat and the video streams at the same time, all in the
one web window; it seems like i ought to also be able to see at least
who is sending audio as well, as the identity of the speaker is pretty
critical context for some of the discussion (and not all IETFers are
good about saying their name when they start speaking).

thanks for considering this feature request/improvement for the web
interface to meetecho!

     --dkg

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:55:27 -0800

Dan,

In the chat, there is a button to move it to a separate window.  I do that, and move it so I can then go back to seeing the participant list.

Bob

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:13 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Signed PGP part

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 03:11:50 -0500

You can now detach the chat window, so you can see both the participants
list.  I just use pidgin.  I would be happy to uncheck a box so that
my name isn't in the jabber twice.

    > good about saying their name when they start speaking).

I agree that better who is speaking would be nice without having to see the
participants window.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 03:20:30 -0500

On Mon 2020-11-16 23:55:27 -0800, Bob Hinden wrote:

> In the chat, there is a button to move it to a separate window.  I do
> that, and move it so I can then go back to seeing the participant
> list.

I'm aware of this workaround, but when i do that i now get to perform a
bunch of clunky window management (and i get to do it each time i join a
new meeting).  I'm asking for the tool to do the sensible thing by
default.

        --dkg

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 09:54:29 -0800

Hi,

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 12:20 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Signed PGP part

I don’t think it’s a critical problem, but agree if it just opened a new window when the button is pressed, it would be easier.

Bob

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:59:39 +0100

On 2020-11-18, at 09:20, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I'm asking for the tool to do the sensible thing by
> default.

Yes.  Speaker ID also doesn’t work

— while the polling tool is opened
— while the attendee list is scrolled.

I believe the top part of what is now the attendee list (i.e., queue and speakers) needs to be pinned.  It is also confusing for the top queue person to move to the bottom of the speakers; can we switch this around?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:37:28 -0500

On Wed 2020-11-18 09:54:29 -0800, Bob Hinden wrote:
> I don’t think it’s a critical problem

I'm not saying this is a "critical problem" -- i'm trying to report my
experience using the tool and what would be an improvement for me (and
probably others).

Please see my bug report/feature request as the act of generosity and
demonstration of support that it is.  Not every report needs to be a
"critical problem" -- i'm trying to help make the tool better for
everyone by identifying a real concern so that those with the capacity
to address it are aware that the tool could be even better than it
already is.  I'm sure that's a goal we all share on this list.

> but agree if it just opened a new window when the button is pressed, it would be easier.

I do not want new windows!  I already objected to "clunky window
management" upthread here.  If i'm in a voice-only conference with a
large group, the *most useful* thing that any adjunct interface can
provide me with is an immediate (and silent) understanding of who is
currently speaking.  I can't imagine any user/listener would *not* want
that.

But the meetecho web interface currently doesn't do it by default.

        --dkg

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 19:20:02 +1100

Thanks dkg, you captured my sentiments on the matter very well.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020, at 13:37, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
> 
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
> 
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]
> 
> Attachments:
> * signature.asc