Subject: [Txauth] Name game support

From: Nigel Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 07:44:04 +0100

Hi,

Naming is indeed hard - and something that normally takes a number of weeks
/ months.

Recently I helped the Perl community rename Perl 6 -> Raku
<https://nigelhamilton.com/perl-branding-proposal.html> [1]. Here are some
features of a good protocol name (adapted):

   - distinctive
   - 'runs deep' - capable of evoking strong positive associations
   - good Google find-ability (< less than 500,000 hits ?)
   - easy to read
   - straightforward to pronounce
   - easy to spell
   - avoids hardwiring version numbers into the name (e.g., oauth2a)
   - works internationally
   - not cause confusion
   - not used by other major software projects / companies
   - not trademarked already
   <https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database>
(in
   international classes: 9, 16, 41, 42)

Over a few months I collected a list of naming suggestions on behalf of the
Perl community and presented them against similar criteria:

 https://nigelhamilton.com/perl-branding-proposal.html
<https://nigelhamilton.com/perl-branding-proposal.html>

I'd be happy to help by creating a similar page for txauth to collect
suggestions on behalf of the group etc. This can happen quietly in parallel
- so as not to distract the main work of the group.

It's important to say that *all* suggestions are useful - as it can often
spark/inspire ideas in others.

Happy to help.

Cheers

NIge

[1] https://nigelhamilton.com/perl-branding-proposal.html