Subject: The great mailing list muddle

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:57:36 GMT

If seems that our Chair has switched to the new mailing list without at
the same time posting a warning message to the old list for the benefit of
those who had omitted, or more likely who had tried and failed, to
subscribe to the new.

So here is a heads up that the submission address for the Usefor Working
Group list is now [email-masked] and requests to subscribe should be
sent to [email-masked] with the single word 'subscribe' in
the body of the message. Well, actually, it is a majordomo system, so the
usual majordomo commands will work.

But, if you try to do anything fancy, like having a different subscription
address (such as a gateway to a local mailing list) but still want to post
as from your usual mail address, then you will get a reply like

Your request to [email-masked]:
 
subscribe ietf-usefor [email-masked]
 
has been forwarded to the owner of the "ietf-usefor" list for approval. 

and after that, you will hear nothing even if, as I did, you ask our Chair
to ensure that your subscription is processed promptly and he assures you
that he has done so.

Sadly, this seems to be a common situation with mailing lists hosted at
imc.org.

So now we have the ridiculous situation of a Working Group whose Editor is
not on the mailing list. And our Chair has gone on holiday until September
21st.

For the moment, I am sending messages to both lists, and I suggest that
others do the same.

And on top of all that, as you may have observed, the automatic archiving
process at landfield.com stopped working on August 13th. I phoned Kent as
soon as I noticed it and he promised to fix it, but evidently did not do
so.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Bill Davidsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:00:19 -0400

Thanks for the heads-up, it explains why I no longer get any mail for 
this list. I've sent the subscribe several times, and even gotten ack 
the first time IIRC, but clearly the new list is more bozo'd than the 
old. Pity it couldn't have been moved to somewhere competent, like 
lists.debian.org or such.

Nice to know this has become a closed list, rather than dead.

-- 
bill davidsen <[email-masked]>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc
   Doing interesting things with small computers since 1979

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:24:42 GMT

>Nice to know this has become a closed list, rather than dead.

Well I am now cleanly on the new list, but it took a direct appeal to Paul
Hoffman to fix it. He apoloigised that my previous request had "somehow
got lost" and subscribed me by hand.

I think we had better continue to post articles to both lists for a while
longer.

---

From: Bill Davidsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:36:47 -0400

> I think we had better continue to post articles to both lists for a while
That probably explains why your posts are the only ones I am getting any 
more. I tried again to subscribe, but it told me I was already 
subscribed. If that's true you are the only one posting, which I doubt.

-- 
    -bill davidsen ([email-masked])
"The secret to procrastination is to put things off until the
  last possible moment - but no longer"  -me

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:34:47 GMT

>subscribed. If that's true you are the only one posting, which I doubt.

Paul Hoffman tells me that anyone still having problems may contact him at
Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>. It seems that he has a lot of spam
to wade through and sometimes he misses some messages relating to
management of his lists.

Is anyone other than Bill still having problems? If so, please report here
(on either list, since I still read and post to both).

I hope shortly to be transferring all the documents and old list archives
to the new site, since Paul has given me ftp access.